Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Engines?

869 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  triten82 
#1 ·
so i have heard alot of guys say go with the 5.9 liter 12 valve in the dodge, but then I have heard them say 6.7 liter 24 valve. Also have seen 5.9 liter 24 valve. Which is the best??? Or do i need to know which year i want??

#3 ·
So which one??

So which should i look for, am pretty sure I want a 2500, want it to be able to get it, be able to tow a camp trailer with ease, stack it!, manuel tranny, be able to add some upgrades. Pretty much want the best engine for that. But still get decent gas mileage?? possible??

#6 ·
So which should i look for, am pretty sure I want a 2500, want it to be able to get it, be able to tow a camp trailer with ease, stack it!, manuel tranny, be able to add some upgrades. Pretty much want the best engine for that. But still get decent gas mileage?? possible??
If you want better gas milage get a Hemi! lol
cummins dont do good on gas.

Personalli I love my 5.9 24v. alittle more expensive to upgrade but I just need a workhorse and upgrades will come in numbers someday.

#4 ·
As for a stock engine you cant better the p pump 12v engine made form 94-98, they are also the cheapest to get power out of.
The common 5.9s arent that bad they are easier to get power out as you only have to put a chip in.

5.9 12v with ve rotarty pump non innnercooled 89-91
5.9 12 with ve ratarty pump innercooled 91-93
5.9 12v with p pump 94-98
5.9 24v with vp44 pump 98-2002
5.9 24v common rail 2002-2007
6.7 24v common rail 2007 on

#8 ·
If you get the 24valve 98-01 keep in mind that the VP44 injector pump can be a problem on them...where as the newer 5.9's or 6.7's with the cp3 pump (the commons rails) and the 12valves don't have much trouble with their pumps

#9 ·
With that said, I still love my 01 even though it is getting its 2nd vp right now as we speak....but read up on here they are all good in their own way..you just gotta know what youre getting and where their weakness and strengths are

#10 ·
Every one likes to throw around the VP word. Like the other generations dont have there own quirks. Like injectors or loosing cylinders or just old trucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.