Cummins Diesel Forum banner

6.7 or srt10

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  sublmnl 
#1 ·
I am very interested in buying a new truck or trading my 06 jeep commander for a pickup. I have been stuck between the SRT10 ram qc and the Ram qc Cummins 6.7 diesel. I no that everyone has their own opinion on what is the best. I also know there are a lot of forums out there which compare them. I am located in lower ny. It does snow here so that is the only major concern I have with the srt but I can use another car if needed. My major issue is for the money spent, looks aside, what can I make faster with some basic mods. Such as a full exhaust, intake, programmer or computer and some other mild mods nothing to extreme, I used nitrous a few times but I think it’s a cheater mod. The modo now is all throttle no bottle. I already had my jeep go through all the major work and I don’t want a car like that anymore. I am also looking for something reliable. I love speed not gonna lie, and I love it even more when you smoke some sports cars with a truck either kind. I will probably drag race a few times but that’s not what I really enjoy. What really gets me going are those random highway runs from like a 30 roll going full throttle. So my questions are:
1: For the money spent besides the cost of the truck which is cheaper to make it run in the 13’s?
2:On insurance which of the two is cheaper?
3:Which of the 2 is more reliable?
4:In ny if you were in my situation which would you choose?
5:After doing some of the minor mods which truck is the dealer going to be more lenient with?
6:Also on both how reliable are the transmissions?

Thanks for the help on this 1

See less See more
#2 ·
1-the srt should be in the 13's stock. but is a more expensive truck, with the money saved you can do many mods to the diesel to make it sick!!!
2- depending on how your insurance is, they go by theft rates and weight of the vehicle here. a v10 might get you up there too though
3-the diesel is very reliable
4-the diesel!!!
5-depends on the dealer, every service manager is different
6-not sure what tranny is in the srt, but i do know with major power mods the stock 68re in the diesel needs work
7-much sweeter to kick a sports cars azz with a sleeper diesel with a tool box in the back vs a srt ram which ppl expect to be fast anyways. nice to see the look on their face after the BLACK smoke clears!!!
8-if both are 2wd and pushing mad HP, driving in the snow wont be good with either, depending on tires
9-once you blow black you wont go back!!! haha I love my diesel

#3 ·
I would love an SRT-10, however, when it comes down to dollars vs. power, I would go with the diesel. More bang for your buck.

I already have the diesel, but the next newer vehicle I buy is going to be a used SRT10.

#6 ·
I don't know if you tow but the diesel is rated way higher then the srt10. I think the srt10 is only rated around 7500lbs. You can also make your own biofuel if you wanted to.

#7 ·
well as being a owner of both a 20002 cummins and a 2004 srt 10

well frist off insurance is actully a little cheaper than my cummins
and the cummins is the way to go if ur pulling somthing or want good mpg

and as of performance mods the viper truck is just nasty stock and with an exhaust and intake

but if u have to have a quad cab i say go with a 5.9 cummins because the automatic in the quad cab viper truck is just crap if youre going to get a viper truck get a single cab 6 speed mannual

#8 ·
Just my $.02 based on what I have seen, heard, and read:
1: If you want a TRUCK that is a hot rod, go Cummins.
2: if you want a HOT ROD that LOOKS like a truck, go SRT-10

#10 ·
if u need a qc, go with the cummins for sure...single cab 6 speed is the only way to go in an srt like someone already said. Also resale will be waay better on the diesel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.