Cummins Diesel Forum banner

How much Torque can the CENTER of 12.25" clutches handle ??

624 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Cookie 
#1 ·
How much can the center section of 12.25" clutches handle BEFORE they twist apart ?? :confused013:

Also, I've "heard" that ALL clutch manufacturers pretty much use the SAME 12.25" clutch frame (metal stamped part) and then insert their own pads (kelvar, ceramic, organic). What's the scoop on this ?? :confused013:

#2 ·
Humm, I learned my lesson the hard way on this one.

Not very much,,,,, case in point, I had a 3000 LB load in the back of mine and was going up some steep railroad tracks and THOUGHT I had it is 1st I was going to let Granny pull her up the grade, well, I had it is 3rd by accident (my gears are really close together) my god it made such an awful sound and by the time I could push in the clutch it was all over with, I broke 3 of 5 springs in the flywheel and the clutch went out, I had no clutch and had to pedal it home, shut the truck off at red lights an everything.

The flywheel and the clutch assembly are NOT CHEAP, parts alone were 2100.00 OUCH, talk about learned my lesson the hard way!
The heavy duty clutch assembly and flywheel are around 4300.00
All though they ARE ram tough, they can be wimpy SOME times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.