Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Anyone gone from a gasser to a diesel and regretted it??

4K views 56 replies 36 participants last post by  mattl86 
#1 ·
I'm about(80%) to make the switch to a Cummins! Please tell me the pro's and con's. Convince me to do it!!:drool2:

#4 ·
I don't know if you do any towing but if you do........
Did I mention they are sweeeeet for towing........?
Man, if I had to tow anything.........
Cummins is the only way to go to tow anything......

They are a BLAST to drive and the motors are second to none. You get huge gas mileage and tons of power. If you aren't used to the noise, sometimes that can be a downfall (to some people). The 3rd gens are pretty quiet though!

Oh, if you tow anything....:thumbsup:

#7 ·
The only regret i have is not doin an airdog150 earlier than i did. other than that i've never been happier. And i have 2 buddies that ended up gettin cummins powered ttrucks after they had gone on road trips with me in mine.

#8 ·
I came from a gasser, and towing Cummins is second to none, although I don't tow, I use mine for mostly driving, I drive a lot for a consumer and the gas mileage paid off for me. But in the end I sold my first truck recently and I am looking for another and I won't go with anything but a Cummins Diesel.

#9 ·
Consider what you will be using the truck for - towing, hauling, or vehicle to get you to and from school or work. Where I am at, diesel is higher in cost vs. gasoline. Depending on 4x4 vehicle (1st gen - can get up to 21/22 mpg; 2nd gen - up to 21 mpg; 3rd gen - varies from 16 to 19 mpg) Some will argue this point. You do the math. Oil change (depending on vehicle usage - I go every 6,000 miles between changes) is almost 3 gallons with new oil filter. If you do yourself (about $40 to $50). Every other oil change replace your fuel filter (or per manual - some go longer). Check or change air filter as needed. Other than that, operating costs would be similar to full size truck with a gas engine.

If you are wanting to mod the truck, then the sky is the limit as far as what you want to spend (twin turbos, exhaust, intake, programmer(s), tires, wheels, lift kits, clutches, aftermarket auto trans to handle the extra power, stereo system if that is your style, etc., etc., etc.).

#11 ·
I rarely tow, just a few car carriers here and there. I will be getting a boat in the future though. I mainly want it for, don't laugh, cause I love the way they sound. The power is nice too. lol

The only mods I might get would be a better air filter, exhaust(prolly stacks:headbang:) and some type of programmer, nothing extreme. The stock tranny should handle that right?

#18 ·
Your anticipated mods are definitely affordable. If you are mechanically inclined you could make your own, or if you like buying things off the shelf, they are readily available. As far as "some type of programmer" - I think someone else should chime in on that subject. I think the Smarty Jr. will not tear up an auto tranny. Consider this - if engine is under warranty, some dealers will state that programmer's void warranties and it is odd that some dealers do not care. If you love the sound of diesel - I would recommend a manual tranny, that way you can slap through the gears and get the true meaning of a diesel. Do not get me wrong - autos are fine.

#12 ·
I wouldn't own a full size truck if it wasn't a diesel - it just doesn't make sense. So with that said, what is there to regret? Lets see... The better milage? The more robust engine? More power? I think the higher price tag is the only real hurdle to these vehicles... if you can overcome that then you are good 2 go.

#13 ·
well i can put it like this... when we take my wife expidition somewhere, shes always like y are you cramming the gas??? my answer always the same... i cant get this thing to mooove!!!!:hehe::hehe: I cant see ever going back. this is my 2nd cummins and i cant ever see a time when i will go back to gas. even if i have to change this thing to natural gas cause they dont sell diesel or something. only regret is that no one slaped me and told me what i was missing out on.:thumbsup: do your research. lots to learn!!

#15 ·
well i can put it like this... when we take my wife expidition somewhere, shes always like y are you cramming the gas??? my answer always the same... i cant get this thing to mooove!!!!:hehe::hehe: I cant see ever going back. this is my 2nd cummins and i cant ever see a time when i will go back to gas. even if i have to change this thing to natural gas cause they dont sell diesel or something. only regret is that no one slaped me and told me what i was missing out on.:thumbsup: do your research. lots to learn!!
I've been reading a lot here. It's very overwhelming! With so many abbreviations I have no idea what yall are talking about! :hehe:

#16 ·
Ah well I dunno then the great fuel economy has always been a selling point from me... I also like how 170k on the clock is still considered "low milage"...

Also, I see you are in Stuart, I'm actually in Hobe Sound... if you end up getting a Cummins we could do some sort of Treasure Coast crew...

#21 ·
I was just driving to Sams club today and I saw a gasser Chevy 4x4 and I got a sinking feeling in my chest when I thought of ever having to drive a gasser again. As long as it's a full size truck I would never go gas again. I could have a panic attack thinking about it.

G
#22 ·
The only con I have is there are fewer fueling loactions with diesel around here then gas.

But on the other hand, once you've found them, you're all set.

I'm on my 18th Dodge Diesel. My first was in 1970. Yes that's right, they had a diesel in 1970. Only for 2 years though. Went to gas when I wore that out and back to diesel in 92. Benn there ever since. :thumbsup:

#25 ·
The only people that tell me its stipid to own a diesel are ones who have never driven one! I went from my 93 gas chevy to my 97 cummins dodge and will never go back!Better mileage loaded and un loaded and faster to boot!

#32 ·
When you look at the threads there seems to be many about problems. Maybe these are brought on by mods??
your in a concentrated area of diesel talk :hehe:

hottrodding the motors and not taking care of the
tranny first will burn the tranny up.

there are not really any cons to owning one except
maybe the front ends are pieces of crap. otherwise
go get a cummins and start enjoying life :whip:

#29 ·
Couldn't Go Back To Gas

I Can't See Myself Ever Going Back To Gas. I Did The Gasser Last Time After I Had A Chevy Diesel Before That. I Though It Might Be Ok But I Couldn't Do It Anymore And Went Back To Diesel Forever.

#30 ·
This is a forum, not many people post anything on a forum letting everyone know everything is going A-okay.

Most problems are known problems, the autos suck in stock form. A converter and VB are a must even on a stock truck imo the 47RE is so bad. The 48RE is better but not all that imo and the new 6spd(68RE?) is awesome after driving one but even with any real mods, beefing it up is a must too...

I average about 20mpg 80% city driving where im rarely over 40mph. And about 18 towing my work trailer on the same route and about 12-14mpg pulling 12-14k lbs(level roads here).

Coming from a gas truck, i could NEVER go back, gas just does not have the balls a Cummins does in any situation.

Jason

#31 · (Edited)
If you drive it like a truck and not like a top fuel dragster there are no cons. These trucks are way more powerful than gassers and if you abuse them they will tear stuff up more quicky than a gasser because of the extra torque. A properly treated diesel will outlast a gasser by several hundred thousand miles. Most of the problems you read about on here (besides the plethora of 6.7 problems) are caused by abuse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.