Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Power braking and launching basics

636 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Begle1 
#1 ·
School me! :confused013:

I know nothing about auto tranny truck launching.

I know the basics of an auto tranny. Fluids converting power, etc.

When and how does the torque converter lock up?

When launching, you hold the truck with brakes and build boost. Do you launch at a certain boost or certain rpms? Is the TC locked or unlocked? Is it locked or unlocked via a controller?

You don't want to spin all the tires or you'll lose traction, are boost/rpms built up before that point?

Any help would be great. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
The T/C locks after you're moving; with it locked, the flywheel movement must be translated to wheel movement. If you decided to lock it while you weren't moving, something would break or stall. T/C lock-up doesn't factor into the launch; you can manually hit it around the 60 foot mark if you want. Otherwise it's going to lock up automatically, probably near the end of the track stock.

What boost, RPM and throttle position you can launch at depends on your suspension, tires, turbo, tuning and the track. It's different for every truck. The goal is to launch as hard as possible without breaking tires loose.

Practice, practice, practice. It's fully expected for you to look like an idiot the first few launches. Don't even worry about the lights, just build to different boost levels/ RPM each launch and watch your 60 foot times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.