Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Eaton Fuller Shift Knob

43K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  RollOver_Pete 
#1 ·
I would like to convert my shifter knob to an eaton fuller handle. I've seen some pics on here of some that have done this so I know it is possible.
1. Where is the best place to get the Knob?
2. What is involved to get it to screw onto the Dodge shifter shaft?
3. Anyone know the thread size/pattern of the G56 handle?

#3 ·
I got mine from work, used. A replaced one on a IH 4700, threads were pulled. I figured they are too big for the threads on my truck anyways. So I took it all apart, gutted the hi-lo selector switch out of it and drilled a hole through it. Took the emblem off the top, unscrewed the top half of the handle and tightened it down with the locknut off my old shifter knob. Not really the correct/best way I'm sure, but it works...If anyone else can explain how they did it (a better way possibly) I'd like to hear it, too.

#4 ·
Bump... Bump

#7 ·
I did this on my 98 and I also used a 13 speed and changed the switches out to electric, The range selector now operates my US Gear Dual Range Unit, and the splitter switch operates my exhaust brake. I couldnt be happier with how it came out. Took a lot of time but was well worth it:thumbsup:

#8 ·
definatly in on this one. How do you switch the shifter to electric, and where can we get the parts.
Tx in adv

#10 ·
Im hunting down a A-6905(Old PN A-6334). its for 5-7spds no range or splitter switch.

check this link out.

PN list

i was going through the list of medallions but they dont have a match for my tranny. it would be pretty neet if they matched.

they thread is m-10 1.5

what you need is a 3/8's Heli-coil from ace. they spin right into the knob. then take the old knob nut and put that on the shifter first for a lock nut. spin on the eaton and it'll start getting tight 2-3turns, turn it afew more times and turn it to the spot you like it, use the old nut as a jam nut to lock in place with a 15mm open end. then slide the sleeve up. im working on a sleeve to go all the way down to boot that is tapered or same size as knob sleeve to boot. thinking of chroming it. they make them but im not paying 300$ for a sleeve for knob to boot.

#15 ·
use a small flat screwdriver to take the shift pattern insert out and under that you can use a 15mm socket i believe thats the size, to take the nut off and use that nut as a jam nut with the Eaton knob. but you will have to use a Heli coil, forgot the size of that though, just find one that threads into the Eaton knob then that is a perfect adapter to neck it down to the right thread pattern of the shifter.

u could also use a drill bit to drill a hole into the shift pattern insert and use a screwdriver to pop it out. on the OEM dodge knob.

hope that helps

Reactions: DakotaLS6
#17 ·
you get the 10 speeds or lower they dont have the divider and splitter. just a normal looking Eaton Knob. but the higher shift pattern will need the divider and splitter.

you can find them via google or big rig online or hwy shops

#18 ·
Sorry - most probably in the wrong place, but Got a question I REALLY need some help with. Does anyone out there know & can tell me how to remove the knob from the gear selector lever for an automatic transmission on an `04 Ram 3500 Quad Cab Dually? Would SURE appreciate any help anyone out there may be able to provide........THANKS!:blues:

#20 ·
no it just kind of died off and never got posted, but I would still love to know as well.

#23 ·
Courtesy of 'MONEY PIT'

Hey all-

I had had some interest in doing this myself and had talked briefly with 'MONEY PIT' on here about how to go about doing it. The following are responses that he had emailed me to fairly general questions that I had asked him in regard to how he accomplished this feat. Unfortunately, I never got around to doing this myself so I really can't personally be of too much help.

-------
MONEY PIT:

I used a 13 speed so that I could run my gear splitter using the front range selector switch and the red thumb switch for the exhaust brake. I used the smallest switch I could get from my local auto parts store, it had wires already run to the switch and was nice and shallow. I then just started taking the eaton fuller shift knob apart and milling out the aluminum where needed and it took some work to do this and figure out how to run the wires etc. If you are just wanting the one switch then is should be a lot easier and even though this took me 2 days to make work it was well worth the effort as the finished product is awesome. I cut off the eaton switch ends off and simply epoxied them on to the new elect. switch. One thing to watch out for is that they make the switch I was trying to explain where the toggle part will spin freely but they also make some that wont spin, you want the one that is solid so that after you glue the tab on it wont rattle or spin on you. I know that I made this sound difficult but I really did not use any special tools, when I say mill out the aluminum I just used a drill bit and a drill press so if you have access to a mill it will be even easier.

---
MONEY PIT:

Oh figuring out how to do it is the fun part. At least you know that it can be done cause I did it. Here is a ebay auction number to a switch that looks like the ones I used, You need the switch to be prewired like this cause there is no room inside the shifter to be making connections. Ebay # 230599576460 Really the hardest part is just diving in and tearing apart a perfectly good 60$ shifter, at least it was for me. Good Luck and keep me posted. Oh one thing I just remembered that may help, when installing the switch you have to or will want to install it with the wires going up toward the top of the shifter, I then ran them into the hollow area under the decorative cap and then back down through a hole to the bottom of the shift knob. I hope that made some sense.

---
MONEY PIT:

On the 13 speed I remember taking it apart and it seemed like after removing all the air switch parts there was a void behind where the actual toggle part of the switch was. The void was not big enough to put the body of the switch in so you will have to put the shift knob in a vise and use a drill press to remove enough of the aluminum so the switch body will fit. I mounted the switch so that the wires were pointing at your palm if you were resting it on the shifter, I believe this is a must as the wires will have no where to go if you point them down because it will interfere with the threads, this also made the switch be on in the up position and off when the switch is down.
As far as where the switch ended up, it ended up in the original position where the air toggle part of the switch was as I simply cut off the air toggle part and jb welded it to the end of the elec. switches toggle.

#29 ·
move that exhaust brake switch up higher so you can hit it with your middle and ring finger and you will be golden....

#28 ·
So I'm going to try this. I just got an 18spd shift knob from the recycling yard I work at. The only thing is I can't find the ebay example moneypit gave, if anyone would beable to post that page it'd be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

#30 ·
i know this is super old but i just did this on my truck, i cant take all the credit i had the electrical master minds that i work with wire it up to electric and the machinist made me an adapter so it threads on like normal, the range selector is now the on/off switch for my water/meth kit... ill yank it off sometime this week and take pics if anyone is still interested

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.