Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Powerstroke 7.3 chip?????? which one??

8K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Smourj21 
#1 ·
Alright guys i know this is a cummins forums, i have one so dont hate on me. My dad has a 2003 powerstroke, (tried gettin him to trade for a cummins for he loves his ferd) it has a superchip in it now with stock everything else. exhaust, everything. i want to surprise him with some more power next time he pushes the throttle down. any suggestions?? oh and mother has a 2004 TDI beetle :lol4: any suggestions for a chip for it? i think it would be funny seein her blow some smoke in that thing!!:headbang:

#2 ·
your dad's truck w/ the 7.3 needs
gauges
better flowing exhaust than stock, or get rid of muffler or add bigger one on
and a custom tuned chip such as a TW,TS,or a Dp tuner
my suggestion is the tw chip because of the free reburns for life, the custom tuned chips are better on the transmission and will give you optimum performance out of the truck
here's a link to get the tw chip
Tony Wildman Chip

#5 ·
I think it was a mid year change. You can get a bully dog for your mom or some injector nozzles.

#6 ·
yeah i had an 03 with the 6 liter and man o man did that thing whistle. it sounded like a jet takin off, thats the only thing i miss about it. and never had one problem with it. had almost 100,000 miles. so tw and just take his muffler out? there in fl so i took it out and did a boosted 4x4 lanch and timed a 0-60. did it in just under ten seconds. the ol' dodge does it in 5.33 :headbang:

#7 ·
I done an 02 with the following

S&B cold air intake
4" Hog performance exhaust
EGT/Boost/Tranny gauge (stock gauge is inacurrate)
DP Tuner 60/80/120/140hp settings

Sumgun would run for an old lazy 7.3, even on 37's

#10 ·
unless your really want to drop some coin for your pops, i would suggest just getting him an exhaust then talk him into selling his chip now and getting a custom burned Tony Wildman chip and gauges. Also another cheap great mod is to make a custom air filter with a scrap piece of 4'' exhaust and a napa air filter. If you want any exact details on the filter i can get them for ya. But to get him a better chip hes going to need a better exhaust and gauges, air filter plus the cost of the chip. Where as the exhuast from Gus at Farmboy and a 50 dollar air filter will give performance and sound while of course letting him build on it later.

#11 ·
My brother in law has a 02 7.3, good truck. I'm trying to get him to put an exhaust and intake on it. What's the best combo for fuel milage with these trucks. Any info on the cheap intake would be great. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

#14 ·
I'll take a look at that. He'd be happy with 20 mpg. Thanks for the link and help!!

#15 ·
get him some head studs so he doesnt blow his head when he pushes over 30 psi:lol4:, on a more setious note, the 7.3's sount pretty bad with all that displacement, so i would say a better exhaust system or even the wicked wheel for the turbo to get rid of that god awe full shutter when the turbo is at full boost at WOT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.