Cummins Diesel Forum banner

34mpg in diesel world mag.

4K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  LT. 
#1 ·
I just read the article in diesel world. guy in canada says he can get 34 mpg? He says he gets 19 towing? Do you guys think this is real? i don't. but how can this be published in a magazine like theirs just on someones words. His overhead says 28mpg. ha mine says 21 and i'm getting 17? we all know they are way off. It doesn't say hand calculated any were unless i missed that part. Just wondering if this is true or not? Don't want to make any judgements yet.

#2 ·
i dont belive it. unless he drives 10mph everywhere and took the injector lines off 3 cylenders!!

#3 ·
I saw the same article and I was a little skeptical myself. I have a bad habit of going in Wal-Mart and reading diesel mags while my wife shops.

#4 ·
i was reading it and my wife said just put it in the cart and lets go! But anyway yeah i hope someone who knows this guy chimes in or something. That really makes that magazine look stupid. and the owner of the truck. my overhead says 30mpg woohoo, not realizing hes maybe getting 20 or 21, very funny he's got a rude awakeing. I just can't quite laugh yet cause how could he not know its off.

#5 ·
if its the same one i'm thinking of (duramax) he was getting 30+ mpg but that was only counting the diesel not the CNG that he was also using. so he may have gotten 900 miles to a tank of diesel AND xx pounds of CNG but they didnt factor in the cost and amount of CNG.

#7 ·
i haven't seen this one but I would think you would have to be right. I would just have to think is is either CNG or propane but not straight diesel. Would be nice but I dont think it would ever happen.

#10 · (Edited)
I have some of the modifications this fella had and I never got anywhere near that. As soon as I find the article I will post up some of the details for others to read.

LT.

#11 ·
I am going to call this myth "busted".

The article states that he does this with " a 2006 1-ton Ram that he claims gets more than 34 mpg! Ant that's running at 70 mph on the open road with slightly larger tires than stock (enlarged from 265/70/17 to 285/70/17), which cover more ground than what the odometer shows."

Modifications include, "aFe air intake and an aFe Blade Runner intake, along with a MBRP 4-inch exhaust, and a Dr. Performance computer module. Those mods, along with a billet input shaft, were good for an immediate gain of 3-4 mpg."

"The next bump up in mileage of 2-3 mpg came from a Smarty computer module, with adjustments to the fuel pressure, torque management and timing."

"Last but not least on the hard parts side, the ATS exhaust manifold and Silver 62 turbo from Industrial Injection gave him another couple miles per gallon."

The rest of the modifications look like fluids changes.

LT.

#12 ·
I read this article as well, and with bigger tires, runnin board and headache rack yadda yadda I call BS on that one, I did enjoy the photograph of the LIE-O-METER :buttkick:

#15 ·
The guy basically took the proposed mpg gains off the boxes of everything he bought and add them onto what he was getting before. What a dumbass. but how don't you know your not getting that kinda milaege when you only get say 600 miles to a tank of fuel? I'll stop buying diesel world mag now cause obviously they are idiots too and don't know anything about trucks.

#17 ·
I wish I hadn't wasted my time reading that article while the wife shopped...she saw the title of the article when she got done shopping and immediately said "yeah right, thats baloney!"--- wish I hadn't been so hopeful.

I also read something, I think it was in Diesel Power, about the editiors picks for best all around setup for pulling, drag racing, mileage etc. Anyhow, for one of the set ups they suggested an on-board hydrogen generator to increase mileage...I wanted to punch myself in the face.

I think I'll stop wasting 20 bucks a month on these crap magazines that, for the most part, seem to be written by people that don't know what they're talking about.

#18 ·
guy on west coast got 38 mpg with 1275 RWHP. its possible just need to do the right mods...

#19 ·
Just a thought, when I trip my overhead, I get 99 mpg for a few seconds. It usually says 35 mpg for a minute or two. I didn't read the magazine, but maybe this guy just snapped a picture while his overhead was dropping and then claimed to get 34 mpg or 38 or whatever it was.

#21 ·
i dont know...i didnt believe it either but apparently he had propane injection and everything on the truck was touched. i dont know though i wish i could talk to that guy...

#24 ·
Well i dont know if i should make this post BUT have a stock 08 dodge 3500 and i drove to bristol Indiana from louisiana and back it was 1942.3 miles on 100.5 gals of diesel.It had a little over 5000 miles on it then with only one mod a(Hydrogen Generator)
that was about 19.3. You will have to deside if it helped or not
Red hawk

#30 · (Edited)
All the right mods, haha. True though, if you change 1 you must change it's counterpart. People would be surprised if they went with a set of injectors instead of a box/programmer/tuner.

The 10% of gain that's estimated is over a long period of time, generally 5-10 years. Not over a years time.

#31 ·
Diesel Power Magazine does the Diesel Power Challenge every year and last year they had a Duramax that was able to get 38 mpg. This number is based off of the Diesel fuel only that was consumed during the drive. This same fella was using CNG (compressed natural gas) as an additive and the CNG was not figured into the equasion for mpg. Intreasting idea though.

LT.

#32 ·
Nobody is getting 30 mpgs in a 3/4 ton truck on just diesel fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.