Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Black diesel smoke

14K views 49 replies 26 participants last post by  24vcumminhard 
#1 ·
Why is it some diesels blow more black smoke than others. My buddy has a 02 7.3 powerstroke with stacks that make storm clouds when he stomps on it, i took my dads 01 7.3 farm truck out for a spin and it barely makes any smoke. That's what i like most about diesels is the sound and the smoke!

#2 ·
smoke is wasted fuel...

Its usually achieved from a bad tune (on electronic engines) or bad setup (on mechanical engines)

a set of large aftermarket injectors and the stock turbo is a good combination for smoke and to also literally smoke your engine!

#46 · (Edited)
You really didn't answer the question accurately at all.

I am running Smarty Revo on my truck and I can make it smoke A LOT. So you are saying it's a bad tune?

Smoke comes from pushing more fuel into the engine than the air being pushed in can properly burn.

The formula is basically fuel / air = smoke.

#6 ·
Its also increased turbo lag, decreased power, excessive EGTs (hard on the engine) and a waste of fuel/money and its starting to be outlawed. it wont be long before its against the law right across north america because everyone and their dog thinks its cool to smoke out everything in sight...

A little smoke here and there is fun and all, but alot of people get carried away with it and thats why we are starting to see guys getting tickets for it!

#11 ·
Smoke is one of the coolest things about diesels beside being able to tow what ever you want. But I do agree there is a time and place.

#12 ·
lol yea no kiddin you'd think they don't like a tractor pull or truck pull. cause theres no smoke at those events.:lol4:

#24 ·
Lets just face it some of us love blowing the smoke and some of ya'll don't lets agree to disagree:S:

#26 ·
I had some douche in front of me in a 2nd gen 24v leaving Baytown after the diesel drags last year. He kept fogging me out the whole way down the road. He had two ghetto 7" tips out back like a real race truck! :rolleyes:

I passed him ON the railroad tracks and then he would never get anywhere near me.

we pulled onto I10 and his big hot rod smoke machine couldn't catch up to my clean burning twin turbo 04. so gay

my '06 will black out traffic, but I do my best to keep smoke to a minimum. it's just trashy and is the reason they're getting tighter and tighter every year on emissions and smog on these things. thanks for the help @55#0les! :rolleyes:

#28 ·
Smoke is going to ruin diesel hot rods. Every hillhack fool thanks it's the best thing since sliced bread. Have I smoked someone out before? The last time I can remember was fogging someone out that almost caused me to get an a accident twice. I only did that because it was better then the alternative, smoking him with lead, or running the fool off the road.

#31 ·
Guys, trust me I enjoy a good smoke show...but understand the greenie tree huggers troll these websites and use these comments to prove their point and sooner or later we will get shut down...

I think this thread should be locked/deleted PLEASE!:banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.