Cummins Diesel Forum banner

4BT's

805 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dieselwrencher 
#1 ·
What trucks (manufacturer) do you find the 4BT's in? I'm interested in doing a swap maybe in a few years to my off-road project rig. It'll be going in a 1985 D150, which will get the motor (5.9L 360 carbureted) drivetrain (has a 727) and front/rear axle set off a 1976 Ramcharger 4x4. It'll have a 6" suspension lift and 37's when I'm done with it, and would love to have a Cummins powered trail and mud truck but don't think I'd like the weight of the 6BT.

#2 · (Edited)
i doubt youll find too many of them on this side of the pond, they are more common in delivery trucks and whatnot across the pond (and have now gone to the cute lil b3.3). your more likely going to find them in industrial/agricultural equipment around here

As far as weight is concerned, they are both HEAVY! Your only looking at an extra 200lbs going from a B3.9 to a B5.9

I think you would be far happier to manage with the extra couple hundred pounds of the 6bt. If you can find a p-pumped 6bt to drop into it your gravy, youd be looking at about 400hp/800lbft without dropping a dime into modifying the engine VS buying a 130hp rated 4bt and cranking it up for a peaky lil 250hp screamer

That is unless you want to dump all kinds of money into a 4bt, they can put out some serious numbers then, but not all that practical. Southbend runs a mudrail powered by a twinturbo 4bt pushing something like 600hp+

#3 ·
like Dave said the 4bt is a have little thing, I think that you ld be happier with a 5.9 they are more of them avaiable the 4bts can be pretty hard to find. But if you really want one, try ebay, dovebid.com arsco.com and cores4u.com

#4 ·
I guess I'll stick with my original idea of putting a 12v in there :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.