Cummins Diesel Forum banner

quick silencer ring question...

941 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Algae Eater 
#1 ·
if i take my silencer ring out of my 07 5.9l with an aftermarker intake. will it just make my turbo whistle louder or will the exhaust get alittle louder or what? and other differences?

#4 ·
I just took mine out this morning and DUDE! it really made a difference. I was doubtful - even though I've read everyone's stories. But now that whistle's goin Fsshhwweeeeeeesh... before my turbo was barely audible.. especially compared to it now.

#6 · (Edited)
It's not easy, that's for sure. In the Holset instructions for getting it out, they say to stick the screwdriver under the end that looks like this: ___\ (as opposed to the end that looks like this: ___/

Then rotate (move) the entire snap ring in a counter clockwise direction (not what I did)... that should free the other side from the channel it snaps into. Then use needle-nose pliers (or some pliers) to pull it the rest of the way out.

The actual silencer ring itself should fall out after the snap ring comes out.

Careful not to get metal shavings in your turbo!! after you're done, wipe it out just to be safe..

If you still can't do it, search this forum for "silencer ring" and read ALL the previous threads cuz some have photo accounts of people doing it. One has a link to a PDF from Holset that gives detailed instructions.

I didn't rotate mine counter-clockwise. I wedged up under it with one flathead and made a gap big enough to get another flathead behind it. Then I twisted the screwdriver to lift it out. Then worked my way around the circle and kept twisting the 2nd flathead to create a gap.

Good luck.

Now I'm wondering if I'm gonna keep it out or put it back in. My wife & I like to take roadtrips and I don't want our ears (and our dog's ears) to bleed after hours of whistlin'.
Maybe that's why they put it in there. It must be hard on dogs' ears. :(

#7 ·
The other thing that makes me wonder if I want to keep it out is that it *supposedly* disrupts the airflow into the turbo and decreases fuel economy. ???

Not sure how true that is. I guess I'll see.. I'm holdin on to it anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.