Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Dually 3500 vs. 2500

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  PheasantFarmer 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, so i am looking to buy my first truck in the next 6months and of course i want a dodge! But i have some questions...could you guys give me a comparision between a DRW 3500 and a SWR 2500, like the pros and cons of each. I would be getting a 2nd generation of either, i just want to know what you guys all think.

I have always like the look, etc of the dually ram 3500 and I would prefer getting one. But some people tell me duallys are so much harder to drive, have more problems than SRW and such.
But I also would like all of you experts to tell me if the duallys have a lot of cons compared to a SRW 2500.
I mean I know there are 2 extra tires on the DRW but I am not going to be putting on that many miles so I would be replacing them every couple years...and they are wider and don't turn as good but i think i can deal with all of that cause i am not driving in the city much etc...I would also be plowing snow in the winter a little bit, not driveways, more like commercial parking lots....what about DOT is there a lot of problems with having the DRW 1-ton compared to a 3/4 ton 2500?

I wrote probably to much and sound really newbie which i am, but i have been learning and reading a lot in the last 6 months and talking to a lot of knowledgeable truck people, but i would like all of your opions on the pros and cons of a DRW 3500 compared to a SRW 2500.

Thanks for all your time!

See less See more
#5 ·
are you going to sled pull, drag race or anything else with the truck?
Dually's have the stronger rear end most of the time and 6spd vs the 5 spd or auto. ?? Dually's hold resale value more. Other than that they're pretty close to the same. If you want bigger , taller tires buy the 2500.

#6 ·
My dually is my daily driver, and my first dually. I pull a 10k 5th wheel and boat, so I would have been fine with a single rear wheel. I really liked the dually, so that is what I got. It was more a want than need. I am extremely happy with it, and you get used to it in no time. I average around 18 in the city, and 21 on the fwy, and love driving it. The only disadvantage for me is when I had to buy tires, as I hated having to buy 6 tires. Either truck will do the job, but for me I really enjoy the dually. If you like the looks of them, get one, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

#7 ·
Have you looked into the difference in registering / inspecting a 3500 dually in MN. Here in the People Republic of Massachusetts a 2500 costs $42.00 for a two year registration and $29.00 for an inspection. My 3500 costs $185.00 a year and $123.00 to inspect. Also, starting last November all second gen 3500's need a full DOT inspection (I just had mine) and in April they start emissions testing. 2500's only require a basic safety inspection and no emissions.

#8 ·
Wow, it is a lot different in AZ. Here you pay for your tags based upon the price of the vehicle, and then it depreciates yearly. It doesn't matter if it's SRW or DRW, but we do have annual emissions, which is $28. I think my tags were $170, and I thought that was outrageous. That is a good point that I hadn't considered even when I bought mine several years ago.

#9 ·
OK thanks everyone...so they real reasons so far not to get a dually is really the price for all the inspections etc and the tires...yeah i don't know i really like to own a dually, no i am not going to be racing or sled pulling

and if i go manuel i am pretty sure i would want to go dually

argh i hate all these new things for emissions and such it is mostly crap...going "green" yeah right...

#10 ·
Here in MS, don't have all the heavy fees for a dually,
actually same $ for a "real" 2500 - 8,600 gross is where
(best I remember) it puts you into either an F (farm)
or B (business) tag - they start at 10K weight, so same same on the price. Inspection is $5, same for lil car or
our 550 work truck.

But anyway, man - if you got the hots for a dually,
go for it :thumbsup:
Kinda like buyin a new truck instead of used, I got all
my fixes at once, ha ha. Brand spankin' new Cummins powered dually after driving used brand X 2500s for years.
Probably won't ever buy new again, but if you want it,
you oughtta do it once in your life.

Only negatives I've seen are the two extra tires to buy,
hard for me to check or add air on rears,
and have to be careful of gate post and drive-thru's.
The one where I pay our elec. bill is only about 80-something inches between brick pillars, so havta park
and go in.

Pros, don't let anybody tell you that you won't know the
difference towing - from my experience sidewall flex is
most of the boogery stuff that you feel towing, and
8 sidewalls is stiffer than than 4. Unless you're comparing
a dually with 80 profiles to a srw with 70's, then it muddies up the waters a bit...

#11 ·
yeah thanks J white...yeah i guess if i am going to spend the money and time i should get what i like...
there are a few cons with the dually but also pros, yeah i won't buy new, i guess i will just see what ends up happening

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.