Cummins Diesel Forum banner

I made a mistake!

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  TheDieselELF 
#1 ·
I currently have the 2008 F-350 SRW 6.4. My milage is not good, 7 mpg towing 5W w/boat on the flats and mountain passes, 13 -14 unloaded city/hwy. It's along story and I strongly promote Ford trucks, my 01 7.3 was stolen last year and burnt to the ground. I could not find a 7.3 in the same shape as the other and did not want the 6.0. I need some advice on the next truck, probably a Dodge. What year and motor. I hate the new emmisions that are on these trucks (all of them). I do not use the truck to get a gallon of milk at the corner store I use it to pull, hunt and fish. Any help would be great.

#2 ·
If I were to get another truck I would look for an 06 QC LB 6speed.

#4 ·
Stay away from the 6.7 unless you want the same problems as your 6.4 has. 04.5 - 07 are all strong trucks, with few problems. 6.7 came out in 07.5.

03-04 will get you a little better mpgs, but less power, and obviously a bit older.

#6 ·
If you want a NEW truck I wouldn't let the emissions stuff scare you away...you already have a new truck and you could just delete the emissions stuff on it...? I have a newer 6.7 with manual tranny and heavy duty clutch. Got all the deletes with some power adderes and am very pleased. My brother has a 6.4 and got the delete pipe and an sct tuner...the tuner only turnes off the EGR on the BIG tunes...240hp+ or something. His stock tranny wont hold up for too long with that. I guess what I am getting at is do your homework like you are doing and go from there. You might be able to keep your Ford. Dr. Diesel has a box that will get you much better fuel economy. Look at the vender sight here and find BADP. Give them a call and ask for Shane, he may have just what you need for your current ride!! Any new truck with the EGR has to have that taken off...its just not right and will kill your truck! Good luck.

#10 ·
I'm curious what they would look at for emissions testing on our diesels. As far as I know right now they don't look for equipment. They just test opacity, which I think everybody can pass provided the fueling is turned down during test.

As far as recommendations. I like the common rail 5.9 03-07.5. Cab and transmission configuration is up to you.

#8 ·
I'm right next door to you Rusty. I wouldn't worry about the emissions stuff too much on a new one, I know with mine it came with a 4 yr exemption. So I don't need mine until 2010. At that point, we'll see if I need to dust off my cat and rig it on there...:lol4:

#12 ·
General consensus seems to be lower than the 5.9's, at least until you delete the EGR and DPF on them.

Hear a lot of 13-15 range reports (when stock)....

#13 ·
i have a 2004.5 and i can pull anything pretty much the 5.9s will keep you going the 6.7 has alot of problems with them gettin limon do to emmison stuff cloging and causin other problems i got a buddy with one and he doesnt like it he wishes he had hes chevy back that tells you somethin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.