Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Bad News..

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  JDiepstra 
#1 ·
So i was cruising around one day and my buddy gave me a call and said he was stuck at the river so being my dumb a$$ self decided to head on down anyways long story i got stuck trying to pull him out it took a d7 cat to pull me out after the tide coming up so high that it put my 6 inch lift and 37" tires underwater and my passenger window was getting wet.... i got it started ran fine had water in the fluids got a flat tire but got everything fixed only one problem the electrical... batterys wont stay charged and everything is tweaking out including my lights and door lucks it kinda has a mind of its own... anyway my question is the mechanic told me to cell it as soon as i get it fixed cause i will have problems with it later but i love my tuck and i will lose a LOT of money if i sell should i put the money into the love of my life? or should i sell to buy a newer one?

See less See more
#4 ·
well thats why i feel like i can save her.. but if the computer is fried and everything is shorting out it could cost a lot to fix :confused013:

#5 ·
man thats a tough one there buddy, sorry to hear. if you really love the truck i would park it let it dry out, drain every fluid imagainable, rear diff, trans, front diff, transfer case, fuel tank, lines, brakes, engine, dry out intake system, remove carpet. i wouldnt of started it up if i were you until i got it home and checked everything over once. you could get rid of it but what are you going to tell the people coming to look at it?? gotta tell them it was flooded i think and thats gonna turn a lot of people away

#6 ·
if you sell, do the buyer a favor and tell them the history of the truck and not screw them over.

#7 ·
yah i got it put on a flat bed home and i ripped all the interior out myself took off the turbo and intake and dried everything out then i started it i didnt want to take any chances i got all the fluids changed coolant diffs tranny transfer oil everything.... and im just kinda lost on what to do

#8 ·
i think you should keep it and fix it. you are going to have a heck of a time selling a flooded out truck. if you love it so much just fix it. i know what you mean about being at a loss. this is a tuff one here. my vote is to keep it and fix it. i wil cost you way more to start over and make it how this truck is set up.

#9 ·
There was a case of a bunch of "flood" vehicles coming up from the states to some of the used car lots in Vancouver. These vehicles ran fine but after the electrical system started to corrode away they were toast. If you want to fix it (understandably) I would look into replacing almost every bit of electrical components under the hood... wiring harness, starter, alternator etc... just my 0.02 and I may be completely off... jmho.

#10 ·
thats what im totally afraid of is the electrical i know the motor will run forever :) but the electrical scares me.. anybody have any ideas on how much it costs to have a whole truck rewired im guessing it wouldnt be anywhere near cheap

#13 ·
about a month ago yes i took everything apart and let it dry for weeks lol nothing is wet no mold i got to it in time. washed every bit of sand off it im not to worried about everything else just the electrical

#14 ·
The sad part is you will never know- some don't have problems- some are direct decendants of the devil.

some times the insurance company would total the vech. out- but you didn't go the ins. route.

Was it fresh or salt water?

salt water= you couldn't give me the vech (my .02)

#15 ·
yah most of my friends said to just push it back into the river and report it as stolen :hehe:

#16 ·
Have you checked with your insurance company about this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.