Cummins Diesel Forum banner

How much should a mechanic charge to remove injectors?

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  drunk on diesel 
#1 ·
I need to remove my injectors and have them either cleaned or replaced, will find out when they come out.
How much should a mechanic be charging for this service?

#4 ·
it is easy as pie, i promise. the only thing i knew how to do on my truck was an oil change, and now i've got an injector swap down to right at an hour. just do it yourself man, i promise it is alot easier than you would think.if you need any help pm me and i will give you my cell number

#6 ·
no injector tool needed. just thread the valve cover bolt in the top of the injector and pop it out, it's literally as simple as that.

#7 ·
would it be the same concept on an 3rd gen 06 5.9?

#8 ·
no 12 valves are the easiest you thread a nut onto them and pull them out on the 2nd gen 24 valves it gets a lil harder you have to pull the valve cover intake horn and hoist mount
and the back to are a bi$%h to get to it took me about four hours my first time i got it down to about 2 hours on a second gen now but a third gen is an all day affair its a freakin nightmare its possible just alot off bullshat to take off first

#9 ·
12 valves are very easy even the back ones with this simple tool.
Slip a 1-3/8" long piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch pvc or metal pipe over the injector and thread a lug nut you borrowed from the front wheel into the injector. Stack some washers under the nut if need be.
Most times you don't even need a wrench to pop them out and when you do it doesn't feel like you're doing anything.

#11 ·
Remember that pulling the injector is the small part of the job.
You should never bend the injector lines out of the way, besides getting damaged they can be near impossible to line up again.
You must remove the lines from both ends, you can then pull out all six as a unit.
Also remove the small return line as one unit.
Make sure to have new copper washers for both the injectors and return line.
Washer thickness is critical, you must use the thickness your injectors were designed for.

#14 ·
I tried doing the PVC thing with a 1 3/8 piece of PVC and a lug nut but the PVC pipe ended up cracking.
Am I supposed to remove that ring on the injectors somehow or is it just a little stuck?
I'm going to try again with a piece of metal after I drop the wife off at work.

#16 · (Edited)
o right on, that way worked drunk!
man my injectors are nasty!
Not even going to bother testing them or attempting to clean, prob gonna drop down from 330's to stockers.
Does anyone know if I'll need to do something to the system if I drop down to stock injectors?
I'm running 4 inch duals with a BHAF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.