Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New at this, 12v/5spd or CR/6spd??

669 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Mark13 
#1 ·
I'm looking at upgrading from my gas 1/2ton to a diesel 3/4 or srw 1ton. I'm looking at the duramax's and cummins, but since this is a cummins site, I'll keep this to the cummins side of things. I'm looking at trucks in the 97-98 era with the 12v and nv4500. Probably an ext cab, long bed. And 4x4. Along with those I'm also looking into early common rail trucks between 03 and 04 with a 6spd. Probably a crew cab and a long bed and also 4x4. I've heard people say not to get an 03 cr but have never been given a reason why, is there a problem or common failure or nuisance on the 03s that some people say this?

The truck would be used as a daily driver, towing up to around 20,000lbs once and a while, under 12,000lbs semi frequently, obviously hauling things, and commercial snowplowing. Being a daily it has to be respectable on fuel and be reliable. Doesn't have to make me huge power, as long as it's not the slowest thing on the road and has plenty of oomph for pulling or pushing. A few times a summer it may get hooked to the sled at a few local fairs but it would be mostly for fun or a mini competition between some other friends (7.3 drivers).

What's your guy's take on these trucks as owners? I've never driven either so I have no opinion at the moment on them from that stand point.

I can't really go much newer then 03 or maybe 04 due to budget, being 19 money isn't exactly flowing in at a rapid rate. And I'd prefer to stay under 150,000 mi and in the best shape possible.

Thanks, Mark

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.