Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Advice, which is good which is bad? Troubleshooting

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  billw 
#1 · (Edited)
basic troubleshooting steps.

1) Confirm and duplicate the problem. Find out under what circumstances this problem occurs and when it goes away. It is one of the single biggest problems a mechanic faces as a customer will say something like I have a vibration. The mechanic is left to figure out the rest on his own.

2) What else is affected by this problem. While it may seem like not a factor to you, the more details of what happens when problems arise the better. For instance: you have a vibration on the highway at 50 mph, the steering wheel starts shaking back and forth, plus the dash seems to vibrate like a massage chair. Both are equally important points that need to be detailed.

3) Narrow it down to the original failure. The first thing you see wrong is not necessarily the problem. You found that your rear tires are worn. This caused and out of balance situation and that resulted in the vibration. You need to look at the bigger picture. Why are the tires worn? Are they prematurely worn? If yes figure out why. Could be as simple as not rotating them. Or you could have worn suspension components. Maybe someone replaced the suspension but did not align things properly. The simple answer here is just to replace the tires and have the new ones balanced. Rarely is that the whole story though. You may not figure that out until some time later when the problem arises again.

4) Once you have found the original failure you need to look at other potential problems this has caused. Did it wear out my front tires? Did it cause any steering components to need replacing. As well once you have found any other potential problems you need to start the troubleshooting over for that failure.

5) You need to replace all defective components. Do not replace only half of the failed components unless absolutely necessary. If this is the case do not sacrifice safety in anyway EVER. You also need to replace the rest of the failed parts as soon as possible. Remember when one thing fails it never ends there. Once something needs replacing the next part of the system is doing extra to make up for the failed component.

6) Confirm that the problem is now gone. If you were not able to replace all failed components then this step may have to wait. Another reason to replace ALL failed parts.

7) This is the single most important part: Perform regular maintenance and system checks. The best way to fix these problems with your vehicle is not to have them. While not all repairs can be avoided most will be much less expensive and time consuming if regular maintenance is preformed.

Now good luck!

See less See more
#2 ·
I apologies to anyone who read the original post. It was condesnding and arrogant. I posted it as retaliation to someone on another forum.

#4 ·
Good advice. I absolutely agree with all of it, and most important is the maintence. Things shouldn't go wrong or at least will be much less costly to fix if you do it at the first sign. Like the truck I bought, last owner, no oil change 8000 miles..... very affraid of what damage this may have caused, but I am replacing it tomorrow (I got it Friday).

#5 ·
Diagnosis, is a lot of listening, first to the customer, then to the unit, then it comes down to experience, and knowledge, example, is the reason an engine is loosing coolant, do we do the head gaskets or test the rad cap. I have seen it on class eights. "2003 RAM", before you change the oil add 2 litres of ATF over the full mark, and take it for a leisurely drive, for say twenty minutes. It is amazing how it will clean it. If he didn't do the engine oil, do the transmission pan filter first then, filter the transmission oil threw a shop towel and use that oil. You can add 5 or 6 litres without a problem. Just a thought!

#6 ·
Sweet thanks for the advice. I'll do that. Also I am going to clean all the injectors (83000 miles) and flush all fluids, brake lines, coolent, everything.

Anyways don't mean to hi-jack the thread.

#9 · (Edited)
Hahaha.... I so want to quote you on that other forum.... thanks illflem you have a new fan :headbang::headbang:

I was called every name in the book on another forum for posting that. Some people are a little more sensitive... damn Ford owners.

#11 ·
:lol4::lol4: Well I have to admit I own one and I love it, but if you have seen any pics of my past wheels or my current 3500 you will see I am a Dodge man all the way. :headbang:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.