Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Best Year

3K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  JasonY 
#1 ·
Question for all the experts:

I am in the market for a used CTD

What is the best year for the 5.9. I am looking for an auto and 4 x4. I am not into HP, but I am into longevity and MPG's.

Any advise would be appreciated.

#2 ·
03 or early 04 HO for mileage.

#14 ·
The reason I said CR instead of 12v is he said (auto & longevity) and the 48re is better than the 47 re/rh.

#17 ·
I'd say that since he never said anything about cost, I'd go with an early 07' (5.9) because of the 48RE as well. Wouldn't you think that after all those years of producing 5.9's, the final production lot would have all of the 'quirks' worked out of it? Also, as earlier stated, the 48RE is far superior to the other stock auto's put into these trucks (longevity).

#21 ·
i had an old 91 atuo 3 speed no overdrive it had over 2 hunderd thou when i got rid of it sold it to some old man he still uses it to plow his driveway with it and that was 3 years ago

#22 ·
Do you have a preference on what years/generation, cab configuration, type of 5.9 (12valve, 24valve, Common Rail), or a ballpark dollar figure you are looking to spend?

#31 ·
Sounds like he's looking for a D-MAX!!!:thumbsup: Did I really just say that on THIS site??:omg: I can already tell I started something:engarde: But in all honesty, All my dad does with his truck is tow and drive, on his 02, he replaced the t-case at 200,000 miles because the people changing the fluid forgot to put fluid in it, the truck now has 245,000 plus, and ZERO problems with it, he also has an 08 with 43,000 on it and zero problems exept for with the factory navigation system. oh, I forgot to mention the 02 pulls a Takeuchi TB135 on a daily basis.

#35 ·
Well I would go with the 3rd gen. It's by far more comfy, but the mpg is better on the 2nd gen but that's more likely gearing than anything. My 1st gen, still miss it, great fuel milage with it.

#38 ·
Guy:

I really appreciate all of the advise. A Duramax is not an option.

I have had Gm's before and I cn't keep em out of the shop. I have no confidence in their quaility, and I do not like the IFS. I have had limites exposure to cummins engines in boats and heavy equipment and I know they are rock solid.

My idea of noise is not beign able to hear yourself think in the truck. I am not not looking a truck to heavilt modify, I am looking one that will last several hundred thousand miles with TLC.

If gearing is the mileage maker, what about an 03-06 with a change in the rear end gearing?

Again. thanks for all the help.

#39 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 03-04 trucks don't have a 3rd injection invent and different cams so they get better mileage. They don't put out as much HP as the 04.5+ trucks, but that can be fixed with some $$$.

I personally like the 06 because of all the updates like front end and interior but they don't have the afterburner tail lights. Every newer vehicle has those tails and I don't like the look of them.

As far as mileage goes, I'd find a manual trans. with 3.73's.

#40 ·
id say a 12 valve as well or even a 2nd gen 24 valve with 3.55s but from experience, those trucks tend to be at the newest 6 yrs old(for the 24 valves) and over 10 for the 12 valves and mileage does tend to be high, although the motor can last, the rest of the truck cant, esepcially dodge's cheap trannys and computers. I cant believe im gonna say this, but a an 03-06 5.9 ltr with a 6 spd manual and 3.73 would be the best option in your case., personally, i want an 06 5.9 ltr with the 6 spd and 3.73s myself in the mega cab trim. they run about 20k lately depending on mileage. plus some are new enough to still have the factory warranty and since youre not wanting to add tons of aftermarket power add-ons, id get some thing with a warranty, just my 2 cents

#43 ·
I gotta say a 12V also, but I would love to have a mega cab truck. I have my 98 12v QC 5 speed it has 4.10's and gets excellent mileage with 202,xxx miles and all original except clutch. Good luck with whatever you buy and good choice with the Cummins, can't go wrong there, 12V or CR.

#44 ·
01 or 02 24v. Find some 3rd gen wheels and bolt up the 3g brakes on the front and you now have the only thing good about the 3rd gen trucks on the more durable 2nd gen truck.

I see more 3rd gens falling apart and they sound like your driving with the windows down the doors seal so poorly after they have a little time to age. My 01 is far and away a better work truck than a friends 04 is and he doesnt deny it one bit(also owns a 95 12v for when he has REAL work to be done). But in 148k miles he has had zero issues with the 04, bought it brand new too.

My truck went through a fit of a bit more than a typical 8yr old nickel/dime event. But its well sorted out now and hasnt given me 6 months of non issues, just constant little stuff that added up to be rather pricey(nothing that took it off the road for more than a day).

Late 2nd gens are the best trucks dodge made and can be has rather cheaply now-a-days or for a little extra(high teens) you can get a garage kept showroom clean one.

Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.