Fuel Gelling?? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Whisperer

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Gelling??

I've seen a few gelling threads lately and today I stumbled across this article so I figured I'd post it up here.

ULSD Cold Weather Information

I don't know anything about the company, I just thought it was interesting reading.
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

My truck gelled the other day. Changed the fuel filter and treated with powerservice 911 and I was on my way.
'03 Lifted Graphite Grey Quad cab, 6" Tuff Country, 37" Toyo's, Smarty Revo, Isspro EV gauges, AFE Bladerunner intake manifold, AFE stage 2 intake, 4" MBRP turbo back, AirDog 150, Goerend 3/4 Billet trans.
SRTCummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,573 Posts
Power Service was taken off the shelves for a couple weeks when ULSD first came out then came back reformulated and relabeled.
I figured as long as I followed the directions on the label I'd be fine and so far I have for last winter and this year.

I think people who have had gelling problems and have used the proper amount of additive probably have gotten some bad diesel. Most likely water or a low percentage of biodiesel.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
PA Diesel Fuel Mafia-Don

I have to agree with that article, when my truck gelled up earlier in the week I saw exactly what they were talking about. I also used products that said they were for USLD, and I used a little more than what was recommended.

I've never had the LSD fuel gel up on me when I used an anti gel additive before. So I can agree that this new ULSD is not as good of a fuel when the weather is cold.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

very interesting mojo. luckily for me i'm far enough south not to have to worry about that much...I still hate ULSD
Old 12-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Horse Power JUNKIE

I went snowboarding the last weekend and when I went to start the truck to leave the snow it sounded funny. I shut it off right away and bumped the starter... I didn't hear the fuel pump run... checked the fuses and the airdog fuse was blown.... I think the fuel gelled or froze in the pump and drew too many amps and popped the fuse...
PhatShaft62, DDP 150, TST Comp/Smarty, S&B Intake, PSC brace, Hamilton 110 springs, Fluidamper, ARP studs, 4" straight pipe, AIRDOG 150, BD black FP, Suncoast billet trans, 3-disc converter, 3rd Gen Brakes, Thuren 3rd Gen track bar. RIP grandpa "Red" 10-11-08
WAGNAAR MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous340 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Horse Power JUNKIE

I didn't have anything in the tank to treat the fuel and were I live its really not that cold all the time.... so I guess I got a lesson on cold weather and diesels.
PhatShaft62, DDP 150, TST Comp/Smarty, S&B Intake, PSC brace, Hamilton 110 springs, Fluidamper, ARP studs, 4" straight pipe, AIRDOG 150, BD black FP, Suncoast billet trans, 3-disc converter, 3rd Gen Brakes, Thuren 3rd Gen track bar. RIP grandpa "Red" 10-11-08
WAGNAAR MOTORSPORTS
Nitrous340 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,573 Posts
It's been below 0F in my parts for about two weeks.
Seems if ULSD had the gelling problem some are thinking
that there would be broken down rigs all along the road.
There isn't...
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
PA Diesel Fuel Mafia-Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by illflem View Post
It's been below 0F in my parts for about two weeks.
Seems if ULSD had the gelling problem some are thinking
that there would be broken down rigs all along the road.
There isn't...
Did you miss the tons of threads on here from monday and tuesday when it was really cold here around PA?

Heck I had 2 gelled up trucks in my driveway, mine and my father-in-laws and we both use anti-gel.

Not to mention the numerous people I've talked to that had some form of starting/gel'ing problem also.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

luckily when itz been cold in jerzy oth my Ford and Dodge both start rite up...cant plug them in either...live in appt. complex !!!
pete37922 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 01:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Horseback Recluse

Mine gelled up on me the other morning on the way home. I think the place I get my fuel got a bad shipment because two weeks ago it was -15 and no issues. Wednesday morn it was only -2 and it gelled right up. I poured two bottles of Diesel 911 in and it fixed it right up. Probably shouldn't have used so much but by the time I got it and put it in I didn't feel like sitting around any longer.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
seems early in winter is a problem probably fuel wasn't a winter blend.i haven't had any issues in 3 years of ulsd in below 0 deg f with no anti gel.
scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.