truck batteries - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Electrical & Wiring
Electrical & Wiring A place to discuss Electrical & Wiring issues.

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Angry truck batteries

I have a problem that is driving nuts, If I park my truck for a couple of days with out starting it then it drains my batteries to the point I can't start it, I have changed batteries, checked for anything stay on and can't find anything but I do see that the light to wait for to start doesn't always come on even after it sets all night. This is a 2006 5.9 cummings Please help!
years is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Grab a multimeter and check the amp load on the battery when the truck is sitting. If it seems excessive, start pulling fuses one-by-one until the amp load drops to a more reasonable level. The system tied to the fuse you pulled will be the first place to look.
TheAlmightySam is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

What fuse relay box the one under hood or dash?????
years is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

1. There isnt a fuse box under the dash in your 2006 cummingS
2. Its cummins not cummingS
3. WELCOME to the forum !!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Could have one battery that is bad and it is draining the other. I would get them load tested to verify if the batteries are in reasonable condition to start with.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Did you come up with any clues as to your battery status yet ? Did you try the parasitic loss or battery load tests yet ? The batteries will need to be charged to test - either by you or a parts centre with a charger.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Here to learn

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
The same thing is happening with my 09. I brought it to a mechanic and he tested the batteries and tested the draw. I believe he said it was 10-20 milliamps of draw, which is fine. I brought it home and I let it sit for 4-5 days it was stone dead.
Previously family owned Cummins - 2001, 2007, 2009
Bigrok is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

My solution to this problem on my 2000 was to install two (very) beefy switches right next to the positive cable of both batteries. If I'm going to leave my truck sitting for anything over two days, I turn the switches off guaranteeing the batteries don't drain. There's got to be a short somewhere, and this is admittedly a PITA fix (long ago stopped bothering resetting the radio)....it's a fix.
ihunsche is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.