Control Arm Length - How much? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > Suspension Discussion > The Dirt
The Dirt This is for the group that is not interested in big wheels and looks, this is for the group that beats on their truck and is not afraid to get it dirty. Enter at your own risk.

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Control Arm Length - How much?

Well here is the deal. I have the 6" Fabtech kit in my sig. I recently replaced the 6" Fabtech coils with PP Progressive rate coils and now it sits about 1/4" lower than the Fabtechs and the front was already 1/2"-1" lower than the rear so I want to add a 1" coil spacer in order to level the truck out. Id love to go with a long arm kit but just dont have the money for it right now. With the current set up the Fabtech control arms seem to be too short as it is. In order to actually center my wheel in the wheel wells I have to have the caster adjusted all the way positive in order to not rub. Since the arms are arleady short I dont want to throw the spacer in there and pull the axle back even more so Im looking to get some custom length control arms. My question is how much will the spacer actually pull the axle back? And if I measure my control arms now (center eye of hole to hole) how much longer should I go with the new control arms? Basically how do the lenths of the control arms translate to actually moving the axle forward? Like if they are 1/2" longer than mine now does that move the axle forward 1/2" or more/less than the actual length of them? Found some " 8" lift " short control arms and think they would work perfect for what I need but I want to make sure first. Thanks - Josh
Early 04 3500 QC SB 4x4 5.9L SO 48RE 4.10 Gears : Smarty Jr/Quadzilla X2 stack,Straight Piped, Willy's Whistler Intake, 09 Front/Rear conversion,6" Fabtech w/ Dual Dirt Logic Res. Setup, 3" PA Body Lift, 20x12 Fuel Hostages w/ 38x15.50x20 Toyo MTs
baggedlvintegra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
With the lift you have you really need actual long arms like PPs kit or at the very least some of the TGC arms which are like PPs old version. That being said you could get some 1-1.5" longer than stock and clear with your coils and 1-2" spacer. It'll ride rough as hell but it'll work till you get the funds for the long arms.

another thing is by getting custom length well built arms you'll be around $5-600 which is close to the price of PPs kit or another comparable long arm kit.
Devilman is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilman View Post
With the lift you have you really need actual long arms like PPs kit or at the very least some of the TGC arms which are like PPs old version. That being said you could get some 1-1.5" longer than stock and clear with your coils and 1-2" spacer. It'll ride rough as hell but it'll work till you get the funds for the long arms.

another thing is by getting custom length well built arms you'll be around $5-600 which is close to the price of PPs kit or another comparable long arm kit.
well I actually found a set of tgc 8" lift short arms for $100 which is super cheap and will get me by until I save up for the long arm kit. I just got some measurements from the guy selling them. He says eye to eye on his are 19.25" on the uppers and 20.625 on the lowers. I just measured mine (on the truck but still a close guestimate) and my uppers are 18" and lowers 19.5". So basically the arms he is selling are a little over 1" longer than mine now. Does this translate into the axle being pushed forward 1"?
Early 04 3500 QC SB 4x4 5.9L SO 48RE 4.10 Gears : Smarty Jr/Quadzilla X2 stack,Straight Piped, Willy's Whistler Intake, 09 Front/Rear conversion,6" Fabtech w/ Dual Dirt Logic Res. Setup, 3" PA Body Lift, 20x12 Fuel Hostages w/ 38x15.50x20 Toyo MTs
Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I always think of it that way since they are 1" longer than stock but with your height the arms are angled down so the axle will probly only be pushed 1/2" forward. But for $100 for longer arms then I'd get em an see how you like it.
Devilman is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Well I went ahead and bought them as they were on Ebay and I didnt want somebody else to snag them before I had a chance to get them. I would still like a definite answer to my questions if somebody knows that way I can figure this out on paper first before going through all the hassle of putting the new arms / spacer on and it just not working...thanks in advance for replies...
Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
That Truck Guy

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilman View Post
I always think of it that way since they are 1" longer than stock but with your height the arms are angled down so the axle will probly only be pushed 1/2" forward. But for $100 for longer arms then I'd get em an see how you like it.

With the extreme angle of the short arms at that height it will most likely move the axle forward about 1/2".

Another option may be to lower the rear an inch or so and you won't get into all of the geometry BS of going higher in the front. When you go higher than 6" in these trucks you start running into driveline and steerin issues not to mention shock length problems.
888-886-2480
Skyd Ram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I know the best solution would be to go down 1" in the rear but it would kill me to have to go down rather than up. Just makes me mad that a 6" kit does not sit level with just a 6" kit. The blocks out back come standard with a 6" kit therefore I feel the front coils should comensate for the rear and be a true 6"s of lift. Its not that I even want my truck to be considered a 7" lift or to go bigger, I just want it to sit level and not have the raked look!

I already bought the control arms off ebay, he ended up being a member on here as well after doing some research. They are coming off a 8" TGC short arm kit, which he actually upgraded to a PP long arm kit from you George (his sn is shoraceteam I believe). Anyways Im going to try the longer arms and spacer and see what happens, if it creates steering/vibration issues Ill take it back off and I guess get smaller blocks out back

*EDIT* Also had a question about the FabTech tranny drop bracket with the 6" kit. I purchased it seperately when I got the kit and was hesitant to buy it as all the other kits on the market dont come with one. Its on my truck now, so technically this should help some with the driveline angle issues that COULD incur with going with the spacer correct? Or is this trans drop bracket just worthless and I wasted my money?

Last edited by baggedlvintegra; 08-30-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
That Truck Guy

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
The tranny drop brackets like the one that come in the 6" Fabtech kits will help with small vibes that these trucks sometimes get in the 5-6 inch range. When you go bigger than 6" they usually aren't enough and it takes either an index ring or a custom driveshaft to fix the problem.

As far as the lift height differences it is hard to get an exact amount of lift out of anything other than blocks or lift spacers since the amount of lift is relative to the vehicle weight and the spring that is being replaced. QCLB's and MegaCabs tend to get a little less lift than out of a set of springs due to the higher weight and wheelbase. A spring advertised as a 3" lift may only lift a Mege 2.5" whereas it will lift a Reg cab 3.5.
888-886-2480
Skyd Ram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post
The tranny drop brackets like the one that come in the 6" Fabtech kits will help with small vibes that these trucks sometimes get in the 5-6 inch range. When you go bigger than 6" they usually aren't enough and it takes either an index ring or a custom driveshaft to fix the problem.

As far as the lift height differences it is hard to get an exact amount of lift out of anything other than blocks or lift spacers since the amount of lift is relative to the vehicle weight and the spring that is being replaced. QCLB's and MegaCabs tend to get a little less lift than out of a set of springs due to the higher weight and wheelbase. A spring advertised as a 3" lift may only lift a Mege 2.5" whereas it will lift a Reg cab 3.5.
Yeah I figured the drop bracket might help some, but for such a small part I figured it wouldnt help too much...and I know the heights vary between coils and cab models due to weight, but my qcsb is the norm Id say and you'd think would get the advertised amount of lift but I guess its just hit or miss and mine missed, of course
Old 09-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
wwm
Diesel Freak

what you going to do with your fabtech control arms lol. i may take them off your hands? if i dont fix the problem tomorrow.
also did you have any spacer that you have to put on the front shaft to make it reach all the way?

Last edited by wwm; 09-02-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spell
wwm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Pm sent wwm
Old 09-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Just an update for anyone interested....I took the day off work to get all the swapping done. Fortunately it was a great day and success! The 8" TGC control arms were the perfect length with my 6" PP Progressive coils and 1" Coil spacer. I have the caster set at the desired 4-5 degree ish, the wheels are perfectly centered in the wheels, no vibrations as of yet and NO MORE RUBBING! The only things I notice is that the pitman drop arm doesnt seem long enough now as the steering almost rubs the passenger side sway bar lower mount where the arms meet, I mean it clears by a piece of paper probly. May have to look into getting a longer pitman drop in the future. All in all it went well and finally got rid of the nasty rake my truck had!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.