Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northern VA
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1. I took my truck in on a Monday for a CEL and a couple codes; didn't know about the forum yet
2. Tuesday was told was a "sensor" for the turbo; I concurred as my truck on a first acceleration from a "start" was slow
3. Was told the part would be in on Wednesday
4. Wed. comes, talk to rep. parts truck in around 10am. At 3pm Rep. tells me wrong part was sent. Right part won't be here until Friday due to late hour
5. I complain about finding out about wrong part so late in day when parts truck had arrived at 10am.
6. Get truck back on Friday
7. CEL pops on again 1 week later
8. I take back in; diagnosis is "free" as CEL suspected due to recently replaced "sensor"
9. Truck is in for two days, unable to properly check new "problem" as the temp was too high (they were leading me down the road, as I know now, of replacing heater grids
10. Fortunately, I began to wise up, and looked at code at AutoZone before taking in 2nd time. Possible causes for new code were high resistance from battery cables
11. Again, fortunately for me, I cleaned a lot of corrosion before taking it in second time
12. Rep tells me they reset CEL and asks what I want to do. I pick truck back up no work done this time, and CEL has stayed off for over month now.
13. I joined the forums (DTR and this one) started doing lot more reading and, if I can help it will never go to this dealer again due to length of repair on original CEL, which was legit, I just didn't know enough then, but do now
14. My cleaning of the battery posts saved me an unnecessary 2nd repair of roughly $700 parts/labor
15. Didn't vote because wasn't a category for this
16. I did complain, btw, on the first repair on the length of time to diagnose/repair, and asked for and received "discount" of $70 off the original $750 tab (first CEL), many thanks to them (hah)
17. If that's how they treat "paying" customers, I'm afraid of how they treat warranty repairs
18. Dealer, for the record, was Lustine Dodge, in Woodbridge VA
19. Overall, I feel that the rep. could have kept me better informed; I made all the status calls, and feel that if I hadn't made my inquiries, they would have kept my repair on the back burner even longer
20. Fortunately, my wife was out of town, so I was able to use her car, but if I hadn't had this luxury, I'm sure the dealer wouldn't have gone to the trouble of making sure I had transportation that week.
21. I love my truck, but don't like the way dealers treat their customers. I don't like the idea of being at their mercy.
22. I felt that with the 2nd CEL (the one where I told them to do nothing) they were about ready to start throwing parts at the truck until the CEL went away. Not very good diagnostic practice.
23. Thanks for the time...and space.
1999 2500, 4x4, SWB, Quad Cab, AT, All stock, no other mods...yet.
2008 FXDF Fat Bob, Black Denim
Last edited by danimal1208; 11-27-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Reason: add info