Traction bars and wheelbase ???? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Competition Cummins > Cummins Pulling
Cummins Pulling Discussion Pertaining to Cummins Transfer Sled Pulling

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Traction bars and wheelbase ????

I have 143.5" wheelbase. How long should my traction bars be? Is there any type of formula for this? Thanks in advance!
H82LOSE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Washington Chapter Vice President

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I believe it needs to follow the same angle as the driveline, you will have to figure the math on that, it all depends on your connection point on the rearend.

FTEDiesel
Compcowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compcowboy View Post
I believe it needs to follow the same angle as the driveline, you will have to figure the math on that, it all depends on your connection point on the rearend.
I was thinking that, just looking for a few different opinions. Thanks Cowboy
Old 07-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i tryed to get mine as leval as possible with out killing the ground clearance....either way they make a huge diff
2000 / 3500 / DRW / QC / nv4500 / SB IG / ATS manifold / Fire Rings/ 62/65/14 / 105hp injectors / Schied HR VP-44 / Quadzilla Adrenaline w/ Pulse V2 / SMARTY / FASS 150 / 5" pipe / AFE intake / Recon LED's / Eagle Alloys w/ 285 Cooper STT's
dsl kicks gas is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

if you are pulling then the longer the better, drag racing go shorter, that is what I have heard. I went long and end is right behind the front doors.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Usually right about the back of the cab (longbed). This has been briefly discussed in several of our "ladder bars" or "traction bars" threads. If you search for them, they will show!!

But yeah, about the back of the cab to the middle of the (rear) doors is usually good on a long bed. Shortbeds will be rear of the front doors or so, roughly.

Some pics here to estimate length......
Traction Bars
'03 Black 2500 QC/LB 4x4, 6 speed, SB3600DD, 2" lift, Raceline Raptor wheels, 305/70 Nitto's, B&W turnover, Firestone bags, HE351 turbo, 5" pipe, air intake, 2nd gen intake, BD lift pump, spin on filters, pillar boost & pyro, Pacbrake and Smarty

Last edited by Hot Stuff; 07-28-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Hot Stuff is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

here is a few picts of mine....not a 3rd gen buy you get the poin

dont make fun of the little puff of smoke......i was in mpg mode
2000 / 3500 / DRW / QC / nv4500 / SB IG / ATS manifold / Fire Rings/ 62/65/14 / 105hp injectors / Schied HR VP-44 / Quadzilla Adrenaline w/ Pulse V2 / SMARTY / FASS 150 / 5" pipe / AFE intake / Recon LED's / Eagle Alloys w/ 285 Cooper STT's
Old 07-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

try this again lol
Old 07-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

one more time then i quit
Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Thanks for all the info guys. :thumbsup
Old 07-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

mine are 69" center to center of eye. I have bent or broke them 4 times in 4 pulls. first till bent the 1.25 inch pipe. ok go thicker. 1.25 pipe with 1 inch inside and welded together.
2nd pull: pipe ok, broke both rear heim joints. thought maybe they were weak from previous pull.
3rd pull, broke 1 front and 1 rear heim joint, pipe ok. thought my bump stops werent keeping enough up travel off suspension. fixed that..
4th pull: bigger heim joints. really tight suspension, about 10ft from end of pull in the video you can see them flex up and rest on the frame then when I let off, they roll down to them bottom.

I am going with square tubing now, so we'll see. Everyone has said that I shouldn't be bending them, but??? My friends 2.8 class pulling truck just has 1.5 inch bars and he bent the frame at the dhra pull a couple of years ago in indy, behind the cab.

All I know that this sux. hope we figure it out.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Torquet, Post pics of your setup. Mounting points (axle and frame) etc so we can help point you in the right direction.

How thick of pipe are you using? Long bed or short bed?
'03 Black 2500 QC/LB 4x4, 6 speed, SB3600DD, 2" lift, Raceline Raptor wheels, 305/70 Nitto's, B&W turnover, Firestone bags, HE351 turbo, 5" pipe, air intake, 2nd gen intake, BD lift pump, spin on filters, pillar boost & pyro, Pacbrake and Smarty

Last edited by Hot Stuff; 07-30-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Hot Stuff is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.