2013 Ram 3500 4x4 Baja Chase Truck Build - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Cummins Off Roading Discussion Pertaining to Cummins Off-Roading - Baja , Muddin' , Rock Crawling Ect.

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Junkie

Thanked 1,926 Times in 1,037 Posts
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
2013 Ram 3500 4x4 Baja Chase Truck Build

I will document here the transformation of my 2013 4x4 Dually into a fully capable chase truck that will serve as my daily driver (for now) and back country support for my Class 8 Baja race truck.

I've always wanted to be involved in Baja racing since I was a kid and over tha past year have finally been able to follow that dream. I'll be crossing off the top of my bucket list in April 2017 when we go down to Mexico to compete in the 50th Anniversary of the NORRA Mexican 1000!

On to the build!

Here is what I started with:

2013 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4
6.7 Cummins (Stock)
Aisin 6spd Auto
ST trim package
30,000 miles on the ticker when I bought it.

And here is what it looked like the first time I put it to use hauling our race truck out for a shake down.

Shortly after purchase I re-tinted the front windows and added a brow (now causing me heartache and grief trying to get it inspected )

'13 4WD 3500 Crew Cab Dually Chase Truck "Negrita"

'04 4WD 2500 Quad Cab Hemi Class 8 Baja Race Truck "El Ariete" - Hoss Outfitters, 6 Line Construction, Taquache Motorsports, EBC Brakes, East Coast Gear Supply, Thuren Fabrication, Dodge Off Road, Finish Line Factory, Jiffy-Tite Motorsports, Raceline Wheels
The Following User Says Thank You to Taquache For This Useful Post:
Broaner (01-30-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Junkie

One of the first modifications done was the addition of a cap to plug the open filler neck... I, for the life of me, cannot understand why this was considered a good idea...

In keeping with the purpose of the purchase there will be a lot of race car parts being hauled around:

BobSagetIsGod? and w6pea like this.

'04 4WD 2500 Quad Cab Hemi Class 8 Baja Race Truck "El Ariete" - Hoss Outfitters, 6 Line Construction, Taquache Motorsports, EBC Brakes, East Coast Gear Supply, Thuren Fabrication, Dodge Off Road, Finish Line Factory, Jiffy-Tite Motorsports, Raceline Wheels
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Junkie

This was the first location I mounted a VHF radio that we use while racing to keep in touch with the truck from the pits. this was on a temporary mount before I found a more permanent location.

Here we are at our first race and set up in the pits with a pit antenna utilizing PVC and a marine VHF mast.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Junkie

In keeping with tradition I found a dash cover like I had in my long travel 2nd gen.

Speaking of LT 2nd gen:

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Junkie

Purchased at the same time as the fuel cap, I also added this front Diff cover as a piece of protection from when remote recovery or pitting would be required.

Fox 2.0s were added to the front:

And plenty of windshield time was had:

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Junkie

I tore into the dash to find permanent mounting solutions for my GPS and the 55w VHF radio. The CB took the removable location on the dash utilizing a nice mount designed specifically for these trucks. I have yet to wire up and antenna for the CB so it sits in the shop for now.

A piece of aluminum was cut down to bridge this gap in the floor console to mount the stand for the Lowrance GPS.

And we were finally stickered up to match!

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Junkie

Here we are providing pit support at another race out in West Texas.

And at the "day job"

I also am co owner of an off road race association and host desert races in Texas. That means that I sometimes get to do cool things with cool things like prerunning potential race courses on RZRs.

That's a borrowed RZR 800 in the bed.

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Junkie

Sometimes you pull double duty:

This was at a huge furniture store in DFW picking up a recliner while coming home from an off road show...

There were lots of looks and pictures for sure.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Junkie

I really like the Aisin, this truck still in stock form pulls very well.

It does drink diesel and DEF while hooked to a trailer though. I'm seeing about 8-9 mpg with the race truck behind. (race truck weighs about 8,000#)

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Junkie

SCORE!! I picked up this box for $300 from an online auction. It came off a 1988 Chevrolet so it'll take some modification to mount and finish out but it's hard to beat that price!

I also picked up two sets of these boxes with drawers and dividable trays. This will come in very handy for organizing small parts, electrical, nuts n bolts, etc.
w6pea likes this.

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Junkie

Sometimes there are other racecars that need to be hauled around.

w6pea likes this.

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Junkie

And this was just an experiment which only lasted a day.

w6pea likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode