12v into 89 GMC Crew Dually - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication
Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication Discussion Of Cummins Conversion Projects, Tools , Tool Boxes , Garages , Shops , Fabrication ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
12v into 89 GMC Crew Dually

I've been reading up over the last couple months, and am getting ready to start buying parts. Unless I find a nearly free pre 94 12v it'll be a 94+. I still haven't decided on a transmission. Part of me wants a stick, probably a NV4500. Another part of me wants an auto. I don't know why because I haven't had the best of luck with autos in trucks, but they were all Fords, so maybe that was my problem. If I go auto, what are my options with little or no computer control? A 47RH is hydraulically controlled, and the RE is electronic right? What about auto lockup control.

I'll be towing with this setup. Probably a long summer trip with several trips during the year. Mostly recreational. I plan some basic mods, but nothing really extreme. I'd be really happy with 250ish HP. Hopefully I can restrain myself from going much higher than that.

Anyways, I've been perusing eBay, the local papers and quite a few forums. Still holding out for a motor locally for a decent price. I know that as soon as I win an auction on a motor from the east coast, 5 of em will turn up here in So Cal.

Once everything is running smoothly I'd like to convert to WVO. I've secured a good source from a Japanese restaurant and I've already accumulated over 100 gallons in the last month. It's turned out to be very easy to de-water. My setup uses a pre-fileter, a 55 gallon settling drum, then a second smaller drum to settle again. It overflows into a transfer drum where I check for water, then gets pumped to a sealed storage container. Found the plans on the internet and it was super easy to build. At least in the summertime no further filtering has been necessary. We'll see what happens when it cools down. The passenger side tank will be WVO with plans for an easily removable tank in the bed. I could see carrying 100-300 gallons of WVO for a cross country trip with the kids.

Eric
La Habra, CA

Last edited by etcetera; 09-21-2008 at 07:18 PM.
etcetera is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

i was thinking about dropping a 97-98 12v in to a 96 chevy blazer sport, i believe same dimensions as your gmc? anyway keep us posted on your project. Im curious to see how difficult this is going to be.

and IMO.. NV4500 if your towing
'98 12v 2wd 5sp man:#100 plate ff,4k gsk w/hd springs,aem HD,4"exh, ring-heat grid-cat-muff all gone, kdp tabed, etc,etc,etc. All work done by Diesel Nut Motorsports (Sac, Ca.)
I.B. Cummin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here's a shot of the truck. It's the one in front. The other one is a parts truck. The crew cab kept the 73-87 style until 91. I here ya on the NV4500. Probably be the way I go.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

my best friend has a 12 valve 89 gmc dually with a manually tranny.his truck has 65psi of boost.

07-24-valve-MEGA-CAB-DRW is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07-24-valve-MEGA-CAB-DRW View Post
my best friend has a 12 valve 89 gmc dually with a manually tranny.his truck has 65psi of boost.
Sweet, bet that hauls.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

I Am Currently Doing A 88 Crew Single Rear Wheel, With A 24 Valve Nv 4500, 205 Transfer Case. I Am Almost Done With It,if You Have Any Questions Let Me Know, I Can Give You Some Tips Before You Start!!!
demoman43 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 05:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Go for Broke

Member "Ryan B" has a pulling truck with that conversion

Scott
Graphic Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoman43 View Post
I Am Currently Doing A 88 Crew Single Rear Wheel, With A 24 Valve Nv 4500, 205 Transfer Case. I Am Almost Done With It,if You Have Any Questions Let Me Know, I Can Give You Some Tips Before You Start!!!
I'm still looking for a motor, but any tips would be greatly appreciated. There is a local guy with a 4bt...
Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

if the 4bt i would just buy that.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaturbo View Post
if the 4bt i would just buy that.
I'm thinking about it, but he has no history on the motor at all. Maybe I'll go take a look and see how it looks. I would be happy with similar acceleration to my 454, which from what I've read is easily attainable with the 4bt. Still, a part of my wants more
Old 10-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

With some economists predicting $50 a barrel oil again (even for a short time) I'm wondering if the price on these motors might drop a bit over the next couple months.

I found a 6bt locally for $2500. 94 with trans (auto) and t-case. More and more I'm leaning towards a nv4500. The truck is 2wd now and I kind of want to leave it that way. What's a good 2nd gen 12v worth? ~100k and runs good.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcetera View Post
Here's a shot of the truck. It's the one in front. The other one is a parts truck. The crew cab kept the 73-87 style until 91. I here ya on the NV4500. Probably be the way I go.

I've seen this picture, as well as others before.... FSC?
hick67 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.