DIY Fuel/Water/Air Separator/Accumulator - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication
Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication Discussion Of Cummins Conversion Projects, Tools , Tool Boxes , Garages , Shops , Fabrication ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
DIY Fuel/Water/Air Separator/Accumulator

Here is my build for my 78 F350. I had several goals in mind. Cure the quarter tank slosh issues, remove air and water, redundancy in case of failure, and a good price.

It is basically in 2 sections. The "low pressure prepump" and "higher pressure pump". The first section is also the accumulator and air separator. Depending on your choice of filters it could be your water separtor as well , but I chose to do that in the high pressure end.

Each section uses a Baldwin FB1311 filter base. The first section uses one modified with a dip tube and a bleeder port.

Section 1:

Carter 4600 low pressure pump used to suck fuel from the tank and push it into the modified FB1311 base with a Baldwin High Effeciency filter. This filter holds 2 quarts and dip tube is set about 2.5 inches from the bottom. The base has a -4AN bleed port that runs back to tank.

This section acts as the accumulator and air separator. As fuel enters the filter housing and fills it up, excess fuel and air can return to tank via the -4AN return port. The out port has the dip tube. This is the port the high pressure pump pulls from. By having the dip tube, it can pull from the bottom of the filter giving you a 2 quart reserve capacity to cure the slosh issue in the main tank!

Section 2:

A Carter HP4601 "higher" pressure (bout 15 psi) pulls fuel from the output diptube port of section 1. This goes into a unmodified FB1311 base and a Baldwin fuel water separator. Then it goes to my VE pump using a Russel -6AN to straight O ring 10 x1.5 swivel fitting. Pressure gage can be added here as well.

Since the 2 pumps have the same flow rate and the HP pump has no return, their should be no problems.

parts list:

Baldwin FB1311 bases (Grainger)
Baldwin filters (grainger)

-6AN male to -10 straight oring (Summit brand from Summit)These are for the filter bases
Carter 4600 and HP4601 fuel pumps (summit)
Russel -6AN to Metric 10x1.5 Swivel for VE Pump (Summit)
-6 AN Push Lok fittings and hose (locally)

Now for Pics!
Darkstang is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Section 1 parts

The dip tube is a threaded 3/8 NPT nipple. The filter base port can be threaded with a 3/8 NPT tap as it is with no drilling!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

This is the bleeder port. 1/8 NPT threads and a -4 fitting.

Careful not to drill into the sealing surfaces
Old 10-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

My own brackets.

Mounted on the frame.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

The higher pressure pump on down the frame. You can see the old Holley hangin down that I have to remount. The front tank will remain gas so I can fuel up my toys when we go wheeling! 38 gallon tank coming for the rear for the diesel

Later this week when I have time, I will tie into the VE pump and mount a pressure gage.

This should work.... I have ran a similar setup with accumulator on some of my extreme offroad toys. You can add regulators, bleed valves etc if you wish.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Looks awesome!
Old 11-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Fired up the rig today with the new fuel system. Primed super easy and held 15 PSI. I used a Earls swivel 90 to feed into the VE pump..

it LEAKS! DON'T use one of those! I noticed the swivel was pretty loose. So I ordered a straight fittting and will go from there.

Right now I have not ran the star wheel down any and the only difference was the pump. Have a little more smoke and very responsive compared to the diaphram pump.

Waiting on the new fitting now....
Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstang View Post
Section 1 parts

The dip tube is a threaded 3/8 NPT nipple. The filter base port can be threaded with a 3/8 NPT tap as it is with no drilling!
So if I'm understanding this it works as follows:

The "dip tube" forces the outlet of the filter / air separator to feed from the bottom of the filter, giving filtered fuel minus air as it's output. The -4AN at the top allows all the air and some fuel (whatever will fit through a -4AN) to feed back to the tank. The theory is that the air will stay in the tank, and the fuel will feed back into the system?

Then upstream of the filter / air separator you have a 4601 pulling fuel out of the air separator into a water trap and filter going to the motor?

How much HP will a 4601 support? I'm considering a similar setup for my '03 dodge. It's basically stock with a 100hp chip. I've been running it for 100K miles and 7 years on the chip and stock fuel system with no problems. I'm only looking to upgrade as I'm going to start burning some WMO as I don't have any other way to dispose of it.

Incidentally, I found this link for a 4601 a bit cheaper than summit.

Amazon.com: Carter P4601HP Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: Carter P4601HP Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive
foley is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

That is correct on the way it works. Not sure how much hp it can support. I did have to add a bypass regulator as the pressure went up with the cold weather.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,266 Times in 721 Posts
I did kinda the same thing 2 years ago and it works great, for shure when you look at the cost of an air dog or fass.

93 W250, A518, 3.54, DDP 4's, 16cm housing, 60mm Gillett, all pump mods, P/S intercooler, Tim W cooler tubes, carter 4601, 366 spring, denny t pin, homemade BHFF, BHAF, 1/8in bump, 4in DP to 5in , gauges,
1STGENFARMBOY is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just came across this post searching for a good way to set up my fuel system for my cummins swap. I have a few questions, what filter numbers did you use? What micron do they need to be to? Whats the proper pressure for a "p" pump?
84chevyguyid is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I really like this! I will have to start putting one together once i get my new tank!
1997 F350 Crewcab Longbed 4x4 2nd gen 12v Cummins ZF5: KDP Tabbed, #0 Plate, 17* Time, 215 Engine
jcarrick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.