V10 to 12v conversion - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication
Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication Discussion Of Cummins Conversion Projects, Tools , Tool Boxes , Garages , Shops , Fabrication ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
V10 to 12v conversion

I have two 1995 trucks. The first is a 2wd auto that has a 12v in it. The second is a 4x4 with a V10 in it. I want to put my 12v from the 2wd into the 4x4 truck.
Is it as simple as haul the V10 out and drop the 12v in its place? Since both are auto, I don't see any issues there. I intend to keep the torque converter from the 12v and can swap the valvebodies if necessary.

What about wiring and gauges? And the grid heater, what controls that?
Is there a sort of computer somewhere that needs to be swapped, or just the wiring?
Does the V10 tranny bolt to the 12v engine?

Any and all help is much appreciated as I intend to do the swap this weekend. I have no interest in the V10 so please dont tell me to keep it and run that, after all this is the CF, the best forum anywhere. And yes I did do a search already. Thanks in advance for all your help.
cumminsbeliever is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wont playwell with others

Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,845 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
i would say take the wire harness and pcm from the 2x4 along with the radiator and intercooler. Not sure about what tranny the v10 has tho. The gauges should be fine except the tach maybe.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

where is the PCM located? I picked up the 4x4 V10 today and have the front bumper, fenders, rad and intercooler off my diesel truck and am ready to pull the cummins out. I will remove the engine tomorrow and then start on removing the V10 from the other truck. So far so good. I intend to replace the instrument cluster to be able to have the wait to start light etc for the diesel. Do you know if this will just plug into the other dash? And you made reference to the wiring harness, do you mean the entire underhood harness? or is there a seperate one just for the tranny? Please everyone chime in with experiences or suggestions.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

under the hood along with the tranny one and i think the pcm is behind the glove box. Been a long timne since i had a 95. it should just plug in.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

If the PCM is behind the glove box, does that mean I have to seperste the wiring harness at the firewall? If I unplug the pcm and wiring harness from one truck and put it in the other, will all the interior controls still work like the lights, wipers etc
Old 10-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

if you take all the wireing harness from the one to the other they should work since all the basics are the same.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I am 10 hours into the conversion and I have the Cummins out of the 2wd and have the front of the 4x4 off and all hoses and wiring disconected. So far it seems to be straight forward. I swaped pcm's over and have the wiring harness with the Cummins motor. I still have to pull the exhaust from the 2wd for the Cummins motor, and the dash cluster swap.
I will begin to unbolt the tranny from the 4x4 V10 and unhook all under truck exhaust etc to get ready to remove the v10. I did not remove the fenders from the V10 truck, but might later if it proves worthwile to get the V10 out and the Cummins in. My 12 year old played sick today so he could stay home from school to help with the truck. Just having the extra pair of hand to help pass tools and the odd help with things like hood removal proved to be a HUGE help. Back to school for him tomorrow and back to work for me. Not sure how much I will accomplish during the week as I leave at 5 am and return home at 8 pm. Long days and dont feel like crawling under a truck after a 2hour commute home. I will give updates as I go and will upload some pics soon. thanks for all the info from those who posted.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

how did it come out

hi
i would like to know how your conversion went im thinking of doing the same and have been told that the v10 swap was the easyist
thanks
thumper59 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Sorry that I did not finish this post. I have been very busy since the conversion.
If you have 2 truck, the concersion is straight forward. If you don't, be prepared to do a little searching for a few parts.
As far as the engine went, It was a direct fit as both trucks were auto tranny. If you are going from auto to standard, there will be some spacing issues.
I simply unplugged the 3 plugs from the wiring harness under the brake booster and unplugged all the tranny sensors and one from the transfer case and removed the engine all together with the wires. Then I just plugged them into the other truck and all was plug and play accept the plug on the transfer case, but same wires, so I snipped the plug off then got a new one from dodge and soldered it in and all was well.
The rad shroud is different on the diesel as the rad overflow bottle hooks to it, but it can be mounted on the inner fender if need be or get one from a gasser and it will bolt right to the inner fender.
All went relatively easy. I would recoment it to anyone willing to tackle this job, as it is much cheaper to find a v10 that is 4x4 and put in a cummins than it is to buy a 4x4 with a cummins in it.
There are a few more posts of mine on here about the swap, check them out and I think it will answer most of the questions you have, if not, feel free to ask, I will help as much as I can and will give you my phone number if you prefer to chat over the phone instead of typing. SEns me a PM and I will give the number if you like. The job would take about a full weekend of long days to get you all done. It took me longer, but I was unable to get a few hoses and had issues with brakes and brake lines on the other truck. Good luck, all the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.