1939 Dodge 1.5 Ton Flatbed Build thread - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication
Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication Discussion Of Cummins Conversion Projects, Tools , Tool Boxes , Garages , Shops , Fabrication ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
1939 Dodge 1.5 Ton Flatbed Build thread

Many car or truck people grew up around them, parents or friends who tinkered with them on projects. Well that is not me, my dad works in marketing and my mom was a stay at home mom. Growing up we had cars that served the basic needs like a Honda or a minivan. I did not spend weekends rotating the tires or even changing the oil, in fact to this day I still just take my cars in to be serviced and tires rotated.

I have always loved cars, I think it was in my blood from my grandfather but it definitely missed a generation. In 2008 I had an opportunity to purchase a 1939 Dodge Truck, I did not know anything about these trucks at the time I just liked the looks and figured I could restore it… how hard could it be anyways?

If anyone tells you that you can not accomplish anything hopefully this will prove that you can do anything you set your mind to. I have no training in welding, mechanics, or anything that relates to building a truck. Spending countless hours on the internet I gleamed some information. Thanks to the members of Cummins Forum, 4BT Swaps and a 39-47 dodge truck group I decided to take on a project no one has ever attempted. Everyone told me it was not possible to fit a Cummins 12 Valve engine in the old truck. I like the power, reliability and mechanical attributes of the engine so I kept to my goal not being dissuaded by others opinions. I did however take into consideration everything people said and made sure to address the concerns. Some said I would tear the old frame in half with the power and torque, so I boxed in the frame rails from front to rear with .25” steel plate installed inside the frame channel to add more strength. Cross members will be strengthened. The old rear axle has a ratio that would not work with current highway speeds, so I replaced it with something out of a newer semi truck, and the matching front axle will be used up front so I now have matching disc brakes in the front and rear. Unfortunately the front axle was too wide so I went to Off road components is in Boring Oregon to have the axle narrowed to match the width of the 39 axle. I went with semi truck type wheels and tires so I can handle large loads and the cost is less for large tires.

One would think that project would be hard enough, but not me. This is a complete frame off restoration I had everything sandblasted and primered. I wanted the truck to be comfortable so I decided to install a full air ride suspension system. After talking with Joe at AirBagIt.com I ordered a custom setup with custom braces, mounts and supports. With a air ride system I decided that I would run a triangulated 4-Link in the rear and a parallel 4-link system. I used massive heim joints on each end of the bars so I can park a few cars on the bed of the truck and nothing will happen. The rear axle is rated for 19,000 LBS. the reason for that is so I can haul the product I manufacture, the RocLok each pallet weighs over 1,200 lbs.
Now to make the truck more ecologically friendly I decided to run a fully automated WVO system supplied by Plant Driven. I will have a separate tank for WVO and Diesel, the system will change valves to run WVO when it reaches a specific temperature.

To assist in loading pallets of RocLoks on the truck a Waltco lift gate will be installed, the lift gate was cleaned with Metal Blast provided by Rust Bullet and then painted with Rust Bullet. This paint works over existing rust, does not have as many steps as POR-15 and is very wear resistant which will be great for the deck of the lift gate. I will also be using this paint on the frame and other areas where rust would be bad and wear is possible.

I welcome you to subscribe to this site so you can be updated as things progress. No information is sold nor do I really look through who is a member. Initially this project was planned to be a community build as I had no experience, and many people had spare parts they were offering up for free. I would still appreciate help, or parts to complete the project, or you can just Send Money ☺… well enjoy the site, hopefully it will continue to grow and more people will be inspired to take on things they never imagined possible before. No only means I do not think so, so go prove someone wrong and put a smile on your face.

I have an old thread here; Interested in a Community Build of a Cummins Powered 1939 Dodge? with the initial progress to this point

I will update this thread as we progress

Last edited by 1939dodge; 08-27-2011 at 04:50 PM.
1939dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

A week ago Chris 8UPRACIN came by the shop after a 4 hr drive to help me replace the rubber on my rims. It was great, he got the tires off in no time I had tried for hours having the right tools and technique helps. Another great reason for his help was that he noticed that my rims were the wrong style Budd not Hub Pilot. They came on the axle, they fit so I assumed they would work... I was wrong. I am so glad he told me before I spent the time and money painting the rims.

He worked so fast I did not even have time to take photos, plus it was hot outside so my brain may not have been working 100%.

Now that I at least have some of the new rubber on rims I can set up the axles and 4-link systems.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I know what everyone wants to say...

I know, I need to post more here, that should happen soon. I need to bring the camera back from the shop.

Here are some photos of the donor truck;

Last edited by 1939dodge; 08-27-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

More photos off the old thread;

[IMG]http://1939cummins.info/images/phocagallery/39engine/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_img_8147.jpgIMG]

Last edited by 1939dodge; 03-21-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Engine Home

This is one Friggin Huge front end

In trailer on top of rear end...

Lift Gate

I think I see some rust

Trying to take it apart

Wife Helping scrape off rust and paint

Lets try this stuff from Rust Bullet

Look I am even using goggles and gloves... it has Phosphoric Acid

Looking Good

Will it clean off this 1/4 thich grease?

Cleaning it off... they say to wipe with a rag, but I thought I would try this.

Well at least this is getting the rust off.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Getting ready to tear rear end apart

Grinding off bolts

Rear end seperate from frame

Quick cleanup

Still cleaning

Finally inside

This thing is huge

This was the rear of the truck...

Now to get started tearing this apart.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Taking apart the front axle of the 99Topkick…

How to remove Calipers

Old 08-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Old 08-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I had to cut out the old front cross member to get the engine to fit where I wanted.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

That is what I was looking for!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Looks like the truck may work, with the new engine…

I had to cut plated for the engine mounts, so I used the frame off that TopKick that I had… that was thick!

Mostly welded in, After downloading these photos I decided to finish so it all looks great now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.