6bt swap in 97 Dakota...?s - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication
Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication Discussion Of Cummins Conversion Projects, Tools , Tool Boxes , Garages , Shops , Fabrication ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
6bt swap in 97 Dakota...?s

Hi all!
I have always wanted to swap in a 12v p pump 94-98.5 in my 97 Dakota with NV4500 5spd. What the plans are for now... I have all the legal issues worked out with DMV, still have to get it inspected once installed tho. Have been researching this for a couple of years slowly.lol... Im am open to all recommendations, scrutiny ect. I want to build it right the 1st time. I know allot of people put the 4bt in the Dakotas but if Im doing this much work Im going big lol. Ive only seen 1 Dakota with a 6bt so far, so anymore info would be greatly appreciated.
Parts: Im still searching for an 12v, tranny&tcase. I have D60s front & rear from 85 f350 already, planning on leafs.

My 1st ?: in a tight fit for the engine would I benefit from a bent down manifold instead of the straight (normal) one? Gunna want to run twins one small one larger in future.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by The#1Dakota; 06-02-2011 at 08:59 AM.
The#1Dakota is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i think that ur gona want a tougher rear than than a dana 60. I think that i would go with a dana 80, especially if u plan on twins in the future.

If you plan on twins i would mount as many things as u can in the frame rail like batteries so you will have enough room under the hood. U r only going to have have about a 1" of room for the engine to move back in forth, u will have to use electric fans.
94 Dodge 1500 2wd powered by a 2005 Cummins 3.9 4BTAA 27mpg 95 Dodge 2500 4x4 boost elbow (35psi) #10 fuel plate 99 2500 4x4 edge juice with attitude. 01 f650 with 5.9 cummins. 06 2500 all stock for now http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/cu...ics-truck.html
JakeDiesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDiesel View Post
i think that ur gona want a tougher rear than than a dana 60. I think that i would go with a dana 80, especially if u plan on twins in the future.

If you plan on twins i would mount as many things as u can in the frame rail like batteries so you will have enough room under the hood. U r only going to have have about a 1" of room for the engine to move back in forth, u will have to use electric fans.

Rear end, front end, middle "end" anmd the whole truck!! Save your money because that's all it's going to cost you - MONEY!

You're taking a weak-framed middi-sized pickup, built for a v-6 and trying to put a 415 ft. lb/ torque diesel in it!

Will it work? Sure it will.........and so would putting a 16 liter cat in a F-250, BUT for how long? 5 minutes/ 10 minutes? Till you hammered the throttle the 1st time, MAYBE!!!

Save your energy for something that will last more than a day and will have some value when you're done with it.
Rodbuilder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDiesel View Post

Ok thx for info. I would assume I will have to do a body lift also? I wonder if this would keep from modifying the transmission tunnel to minimum. From what Ive seen everyone is getting a custom radiator made and running 4 electric fans pushing from outside of engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodbuilder View Post
Rear end, front end, middle "end" anmd the whole truck!! Save your money because that's all it's going to cost you - MONEY!

You're taking a weak-framed middi-sized pickup, built for a v-6 and trying to put a 415 ft. lb/ torque diesel in it!

Will it work? Sure it will.........and so would putting a 16 liter cat in a F-250, BUT for how long? 5 minutes/ 10 minutes? Till you hammered the throttle the 1st time, MAYBE!!!

Save your energy for something that will last more than a day and will have some value when you're done with it.
Yeah, I was planning on bracing up the frame all the way through. Which is allot of work I see what u are saying, I just wanted something different seems like everyone has a full size diesel truck now. Really the 4bt would be a better choice with weight and power for a midsize I guess. Would be a little less custom work with radiator ect.
The#1Dakota is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

here is my 6bt dakota. and i beat the piss out of it

http://http://www.pirate4x4.com/foru...d.php?t=966532
dobbers84 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

1999 dakota 6bt swap - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
dobbers84 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.