Cummins Conversion, 89 F350 4x4 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication
Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication Discussion Of Cummins Conversion Projects, Tools , Tool Boxes , Garages , Shops , Fabrication ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cummins Conversion, 89 F350 4x4

Hey Guys, first post here. I am looking at purchasing an 86 F350 CC 2wd that has a complete 12V Cummins Conversion done to it 20K miles ago. It has a solid rust free body but does have some body damage.

I would like to buy the truck and use it as a doner for my truck (see sig)

They both have a C6 Trans, and both were Diesel trucks before. The only difference is the 86 body style to 89 body style. But there weren't many differences in the driveline.

So my qestions is will the Cummins fit in my engine compartment wihout having to move the trans, transfercase and GearVenders overive back a couple of inches? that is the only thing that I am worried about. Everthing else should be on the doner truck that I will need.

It sounds like the 86 was done professonally and everything works on it (tac, air, etc) so everything that I would need for the conversion should be there.

What do you think?,..
DarrinGT is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

If it is complete and reasonable it sounds like a good deal. I bought a complete 96 2500 4x4 for my 78 Ford CC conversion. Makes all the differance in the world when you have a complete donor. Finding brackets and assorted hardware will give you one heck of a headache if you don't already have them!
msbweiland is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Yes you can install the Cummins into your truck without moving everything back but you will have to ditch the mechanical fan and put in electrics which I have heard a couple guys have heating problems with.

Is the 86 running a mechanical fan? If so, they probably moved every thing back at least a couple inches.

1996 F350 XLT 4x4 CC LB zf5sp, 1996 Cummins, #11 plate, SBC, Exhaust by Source Automotive and a 4" BD remote EBrake
FrankenDezul is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

If they are the same wheel base, just transfer everything along with. Worst case is that you have to work the driveshafts, that's it.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is this pic post working? Why can't I post more that 1 pic?
Attached Thumbnails
Cummins Conversion, 89 F350 4x4-86-f350-c-motor1-sm.jpg  
Old 08-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well this sucks, I can only post one pic? Gonna have to do some more reaserch on this then post my progress. I may just upload the pics to my Webshots account.

Be back soon,....

heads off to post pics,........
Old 08-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok Here is the deal, First of all Thanks for the replys and input so far! :thumbsup

Here are the pics of the Doner Truck: 1986 Ford F350 Crew Cab SRW, 2wd that has had a 12V Cummins Conversion about 20K miles ago.

1986 Ford F350 Cummins 12V pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

I have been driving it for about a week and it runs and drives excellent. I did all of the tweaks on the pump and that made a real difference in performance.

It looks like I will be moving everyhing back a couple of inches to clear the oil pan to crossmember. The same has been done on the doner truck. Shouldn't be that big of a deal, I will just have to lengthern the front driveshaft, and shorten the rear.

The Doner does have a mechanical fan. They moved the trans crossmember from the front bolt to the back bolt, and drilled another for the rear of the crossmember. Should be the same for my truck as well.

Quote:
If they are the same wheel base, just transfer everything along with. Worst case is that you have to work the driveshafts, that's it.
The problem with that is that my truck is 4x4 and the doner is 2wd. Plus My C6 is pretty built and has a real nice shft to it.

So take a look at the pics, the motor is a Cummins Reman with 20 K on it. It is not Intercooled but I do have one that is going on the truck once the conversion is started. There are pics of the IC also. It is a Hypermax Intercooler designed for the Ford Trucks so I will have to get creative with the IC tubing to make it work. But it is a real nice Bolt On system for my truck.

That is the latest, I really like power of the Cummins so far and cant wait to put it in Big Ed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.