Cummins powered 65-79 Ford owners: stand up and be counted! - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication
Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication Discussion Of Cummins Conversion Projects, Tools , Tool Boxes , Garages , Shops , Fabrication ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Art
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
you can do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by papas65 View Post
New visitor that has a project started. Putting 12v and automatic into a 1965 Ford 2wd pick-up. My question to anyone who has placed this combination together is will it fit without firewall modification and leaving the radiator core support where it is? Looks like the distance is real close, so hate to start without knowing where we will be headed.
Thanks for the help.
Without actually measuring a 1965 cab, I can only say that I think it can be done.

I do know with 100% certainty that a 12V fits nicely into a 1979 F-series engine bay with ZERO firewall modifications and no body lift. There is ample clearance between the Cummins fan and the Ford radiator as well. The only significant modifications are to the core support and the frame. The core support modification was the cutting of two 4"dia holes for the intercooler connections to pass through. An earlier non-intercooled 12V engine would not require these holes. The 4WD frame needed one modification - the removal of the top half of the frontmost crossmember to clear the Cummins (rear sump) oil pan.

Take your time fitting it all in and measuring (or mocking up) as much as you can before fabricating the engine mounts. Measure twice and cut once is my motto.

My build thread on the FTE site has been updated intermittently, but feel free to PM me should you have any specific questions. I like 1964/5/6 trucks as well, you can see a dark gray primered 1965 F750 (another rebuild project) in the background of some of my build thread pics...

1979 F250 Rebuild / Cummins conversion - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Since your truck is a 1965, and a 2WD, it should have twin I-beam front suspension. The front frame crossmember is pretty wide to go over the I-beams, so a typical Cummins oil pan won't work. Front sump is still too far back... Rear sump is out of the question as the tie rods are back there. I do not like the idea of swapping I-beams from side to side and running the steering linkage out front, as that throws the ackerman principle out the window... I did some quick comparison measurements on a 70's F-series 2WD truck, and I think it can fit with a custom oil pan. The sump needs to be much shallower to clear the crossmember, and longer to maintain capacity. Adding a baffle I think is a good idea. My next two conversion projects will be a 74 F350 and then my 69F100, both 2wd trucks.

lets go vintage drag racing: www.meltdowndrags.com
Art is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'll be starting on a 74 crew cab 4x4 in about three weeks, have a cummins in a shipping crate(93 club cab 4x4) I'm going to use the complete drivetrain in the ford frame. I'll try to get some pictures of the swap. Dean
74monster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I built a 79 ford bronco with a 4bt motor for hunting and wheeling. Also has a 4spd with a splitter in front of it so u get 16 forward gears and 4 reverse gears using the split 205. It averages 37 to 41 mpg with 37s on it. also installed lockers front and rear. and istalled a set of rear leaf springs off an 03 dodge. built costom bumpers and then camo paint.
79 bronc 4bt conv. 8spd / 97 1500 12v conv. big injectors, home built twins, 5" stacks, ARP studs, 4k gov springs, / 2003 2500 6spd SMARTY SSR, 100 sticks, NOS, 5" stacks, ARP studs, bd lift pump, BD Super B Special 64/71/14, steed speed manifold SBC DD 3250 5" lift 37" toyo mt 557 / 1090
DEATH PROOF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Been driving my 76 crew cab 4x4 since turkey day 09, still need to put sound proof and insulation into the cab.
1976 Ford F-250 4x4 crew cab, 97 Cummins 215 pump, Straight thru 3 1/2", #10 plate, NV4500.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Art
Diesel Freak

Keep em coming, it is great motivation for those of us who aren't quite there yet...

lets go vintage drag racing: www.meltdowndrags.com
Art is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I have a 1977 i did a complete body off resto on a few years ago. I did a 12v swap on my 1992, i like it some much i found an 2004 common rail for my 1977. It's on the engine stand now and i'm just collecting the rest of the parts i need.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I've had mine running for about 2 1/2 years now. Its still a work in progress and always will be with any luck.
Jesse 78 Ford F250, 24 valve from a 2001, NV4500, NP241dhd, 6 lift, 35 tires, holley blue pump, homemade fuel filter setup(think fass or airdog), apps inside cab. You can buy what they think you want or you can make it yourself. F.O.R.D. build and truck Pics
FOverRebuiltDodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Im planning on putting a 24 valve in a 2wd 1979 Ford crew cab dully. Truck been restored and working a getting a motor. Im going to make it a 4x4 and lift it about 6-8 inchs.
drock1231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I have a 1966 F150 4x4 that is going to get a 93 cummins soon. Already purchased the complete running 93 2wd 5spd which runs and drives great. Sold old 351W so I have to do it now! Will create a thread when I start the conversion, hopefully here in a couple of months.... have to get PE exam out of the way
jbickel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

it would be great to start a group for these models of Fords. I'm still in the progress of building my 79 supercab dually 4x4 with a 96 p pump motor. I plan to have it road worthy not done aound the end of october. I rreally enjoy readin the post of the ford conversions and it has definately helped me with ideas on my build. My son is building a 90 model crew with a cummins. I guess it runs in the family.
bodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #23 (permalink)

Add me to the list. I'm 3 months into it and spent way too much money to turn back now! I bought 2.5 trucks to make this happen.

1971 Ford F250 4x4 Rolling Chassis
1970 Ford F250 2wd for a good body
1996 Dodge 2500 12v/47RH

Last edited by Overbudget; 10-19-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added more info
Overbudget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

me too. working on a 1978 ford f100 extendocab with a 12v. does anyone have any pics of how they modified the hood latch to clear the intercooler.
mtb_medic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.