1994 Chevy Z71 cummins swap - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication
Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication Discussion Of Cummins Conversion Projects, Tools , Tool Boxes , Garages , Shops , Fabrication ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1994 Chevy Z71 cummins swap

Right now I know alot of my chevy guys are hatin on my because im actually LOWERING my 4x4 truck. BUT, im going to be building the strongest 4L80E possible and its going to be AWD like the late model chevy silverado ss trucks. Ive been debating on motors, supercharged late model LS motors but its all money.... I think going with a 2nd gen 6bt will be my best bet for PLENTY of power. Now onto my questions.

What would be more practical, 4bt intercooled and cranked up, or 6bt with injectors and fuel plate? haha I dont want TOO MUCH (this will all be in a half ton truck) just the fact that ill have a lowered AWD cummins chevy. I just cant decide on the motor setup because either way I plan on using the quad mounts from destroked along with their adapters if I go through with this. I know it costs more money but is it worth p-pumping a 24v for a daily driver or will a 12v suffice?
bigred2004 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

well if u are looking into putting in a cummins in ur truck i would go with a 4bt just because the 1/2 ton frame wont hold up with a 12v or 24v in fact where i work at we are putting in a 4bt in a i think it is a 90 chevy 3500 and it seems to be that the 4bt is a more of a hassle than putting in a 12v lol

Auto World Cummins Conversions, Great Falls MT
Cumminsdiesel33 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsdiesel33 View Post
well if u are looking into putting in a cummins in ur truck i would go with a 4bt just because the 1/2 ton frame wont hold up with a 12v or 24v in fact where i work at we are putting in a 4bt in a i think it is a 90 chevy 3500 and it seems to be that the 4bt is a more of a hassle than putting in a 12v lol
go with a 4bt 12v is just to heavy for a 1500 front end. It can be done if you beef te front end up with all 2500 parts. but to me not worth the work, especailly with the power a 4bt can put out
94 Dodge 1500 2wd powered by a 2005 Cummins 3.9 4BTAA 27mpg 95 Dodge 2500 4x4 boost elbow (35psi) #10 fuel plate 99 2500 4x4 edge juice with attitude. 01 f650 with 5.9 cummins. 06 2500 all stock for now http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/cu...ics-truck.html
JakeDiesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

id put a 12v in it and let 'er twist. F it.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well seeing how I have torsion bars on the front end the only weak link would be the wheel bearing wearing out because the 1500-3500 4x4s use the same balljoints and tierod ends. And I can always swap torsion bars from a heavier load truck which was my plan. Ive seen quite a few guys go with the 4bt in the half tons because of its weight. But NOBODY tries to stuff a 12v in there unless its a one ton..... lol I wanna be different and I know a STOCK 12v would be crazy power in this light truck. Especially runnin 3.42 gears and a 30" tires haha
Old 11-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

if u are going to run the 3.42 gears u could run a 32-34inch tire to keep the rpms down is this truck a dully or single wheel got any pics of the pickup?

Auto World Cummins Conversions, Great Falls MT
Cumminsdiesel33 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

i have a 95 z71 1500 4x4 and blow front end parts with a small plow a 12v will do a world of hurt on that front end. The front diff is not the same as a 3500 either. The awd silverado has different style front end that doesnt have a actuator. Dont quote me but i dont think a 3500 torsion bar will fit in the half ton a arms.
07.5 6.7 4x4 4:10s 6 speed hand mixer 4 door short bed.
I bought a brand new truck at 19 so i wouldnt have to work on my dd/tow rig... little did i know i still would have to.
slowlt1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ive had many considerations on swapping a 4bt or a 6bt but the only way ill get the power I want is with the 12v. I might even have a good lead on a CHEAP 24v I can swap a p-pump and get stupid with it. The truck is in a big makeover right now Here is how it sits with ~32" tires.

And just so everybody knows the 1500-3500 4x4s the only difference suspension wise are the torsion bar weight ratings and the wheel bearings. They use the same size ball joints and tie rods. The only weak point I would see is the wheel bearings maybe wearing out faster from the added weight but I planned on swapping some heavier torsion bars. All GM torsion bars are the same for fullsize vehicles 88-up. I understand power wise its a huge difference but GM also offered the 6.5 turbocrap in the 1500s same body style so I think a few hundred more pounds fully dressed wont be bad. Also im not worried about frame strength or anything because this truck will strictly be a daily driver toy, no towing, dragging, or pulling. I just havent found enough info on a 4bt to make me happy. I wanna be around 800ft/lbs+++ which is easy for a 6bt....
Old 12-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
DieselAutoPower.com

Thanked 1,890 Times in 822 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
800ft-lbs isn't going to be easy on a 10bolt rear. Or even a 14bolt 6 lug SF axle...
patracy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
DieselAutoPower.com

Got something else for you to think about. You'll need to drop the engine way down in the bay to clear it under the hood. Or you'll need to raise the body.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

And actually for street driving and small light weight street tires and wheels the 9.5" will hold up to plenty which is what I have. There have been quite a few swaps in these trucks where it clears the firewall just fine with no body lift or anything. I just dont think the 4bt will suit my power needs and still get decent mileage especially in a 5000lb truck. That is why I was considering just doing the 6bt swap since ive been reading ALOT on 4btswaps.com Making the motor fit is my biggest issue fully dressed with accessories and AC. Just havent seen enough of these swaps to make me happy yet.....
Old 12-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
DieselAutoPower.com

Ask around about the crossmember. I'm working on a 95 2wd that I'm swapping a straight axle under. I'm just going to install a body lift to gain hood clearance. There's a guy on compd that has done a swap like yours.
"Cummin on Strong" 98 Chevy Cummins - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Here's one more like mine.
5.9 in a 95 chevy - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

More talk about body lifts.
Installing a 5.9 cummins 12 V in 1992 Chevy 2500 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.