4bt swap fuel economy - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication > Cummins 4BT
Cummins 4BT A forum just for the 4cyl cummins.

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
4bt swap fuel economy

Hi guys, I've been doing a lot of research on 4bt swaps, and Ive got some questions. Basically I'm looking to build a small truck that would be great on fuel to drive to work everyday so I don't have to drive my 12v all the time.
My question is, what is some of the best mileage one could expect to see out of one of these engines. I've been doing some searching but there are so many different set ups it's tough to find one built specifically for economy. I'd like to know if its even worth me considering.
My thoughts were swapping one into an older Chevy 1/2 ton, late 70's through early and mid 80's preferably. I'd like to stick with a manual trans, maybe using an nv4500. 2wd would probably be my best bet, but I really don't know how much 4wd will eat up mileage. Does this sound like a decent base for a mileage truck? Any advice or input would be appreciated
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I can get 25mpg around town consistantly and 30mpg on high with my truck when i had the 46rh. just rebuilt a 47rh and on my first tank i got 25mpg but i also towed a little trailer around for a couple days loaded with wood. so i am expcecting 26 or 27 with my next tank.
94 Dodge 1500 2wd powered by a 2005 Cummins 3.9 4BTAA 27mpg 95 Dodge 2500 4x4 boost elbow (35psi) #10 fuel plate 99 2500 4x4 edge juice with attitude. 01 f650 with 5.9 cummins. 06 2500 all stock for now http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/cu...ics-truck.html
JakeDiesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, I'm actually a little surprised, I had hoped to see mileage closer to low to mid 30's on highway, 30 still isn't bad though don't take me the wrong way.
Saw a guy who had a Extd cab Chevy dually with a 4bt and a 4l80e trans lifted 6" with 22.5 rims and big tires claiming he got 28 mpg with it. I figured if it was true then a truck that was much smaller could get past that fairly easy. Again that's assuming if it was true, seems like a stretch to me but I won't call bs without seeing it.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I havent done a highway run with the 47rh yet but a 65mph im only turning about 1500 rpms and a little more than 1600rpms at 70 with boost below 10psi. I think that it is possible for me to get closer to that mid thirties mark on the highway.

Most ppl with 4bts usually are at the high 20s on the highway, there arent that many above thirty. tough to do with a truck.
94 Dodge 1500 2wd powered by a 2005 Cummins 3.9 4BTAA 27mpg 95 Dodge 2500 4x4 boost elbow (35psi) #10 fuel plate 99 2500 4x4 edge juice with attitude. 01 f650 with 5.9 cummins. 06 2500 all stock for now http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/cu...ics-truck.html
Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

If you leave it bone stock 25mpg and up, mess with it and it goes down from there plus life expectincy goes down by alot......
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Even advancing the timing up a bit and changing boost/fuel limit wouldn't give you a bump in economy? I know in my truck just timing helped tremendously an upping the boost with my fuel level helped. All together I've seen my best mileage @ 23 mpgs all highway. If I can't get much better than that with a 3.9 in a smaller truck I don't think it would be worth my while to go with that engine, ill just keep driving my 12v. As cool as it would be, maybe a smaller engine in a smaller vehicle would be better.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpavao1066 View Post
Even advancing the timing up a bit and changing boost/fuel limit wouldn't give you a bump in economy? I know in my truck just timing helped tremendously an upping the boost with my fuel level helped. All together I've seen my best mileage @ 23 mpgs all highway. If I can't get much better than that with a 3.9 in a smaller truck I don't think it would be worth my while to go with that engine, ill just keep driving my 12v. As cool as it would be, maybe a smaller engine in a smaller vehicle would be better.
Yea you can get better mpg by doing different things like you said. Porting the head is something else that you can do.

And there are plenty 4bts that arent stock still getting good mpgs is you drive them right. they will only use the fuel if you tell it to with your foot lol.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Ok that's what I would guess, increasing the efficiency of any diesel should bring its fuel economy up some. I just didn't know really how much more you can go up from stock
Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Guess all the cummins engineers are wrong when it comes to fuel effiency after all they designed a 4cyl engine that pulls a 1 ton bread truck around in the wind up + down hills loaded andget aprox 25mpg. It amazes me how many folk want to turn there engine up and have never even driven a 4bt.guess its me. These engines have inherent weak spots and its all they can do to live at factory hp rateings. I,ve bilt abot 50 of these engines, burnned pistons and cracked heads are very common in stock engines and trying to increase its output magnifies these problems. There at there limits stock in the hi-hp cpl's.
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Your absolutely right in saying the cummins engineers designed an engine to pull a loaded bread truck around and still get 25 mpg. But my concern is not with "turning the engine up" and pushing its limits. My question pertained to using this engine in a much different application, using it in a vehicle half the weight of a bread truck and using it strictly for mileage. I was only curious as to what some people who have done what I am asking have seen for best fuel economy. I personally have not had a lot of experience with these particular engines, so I'm not arguing anything, but remember cummins engineers designed and built these engines to perform well in a variety of conditions and applications, and on a budget as well. There are always improvements that can be made to a factory made machine, that's what I believe personally, it just depends how much money you want to spend. Don't take this the wrong way, I just don't want this thread to turn into a pi$$ing match about "turning up" these engines.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

That's just the way he seems to post, so don't take the pissy sounding responses/answers personally.

If you're all about mileage have you looked at all into the Isuzu 4 cyl. I think it's the 4bd - common in the Isuzu NPR trucks
Old 11-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754 View Post
That's just the way he seems to post, so don't take the pissy sounding responses/answers personally
Take it with a grain of salt for sure... Looks like he was banned from 4btswaps

Just got my swap on the road tonight. I was running 50-55 in 3rd gear.
I'm guessing my 3.55s are too tall. Also running the 47rh and expecting 25 on the highway
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.