ISB 170 (Common Rrail 4bt) - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Cummins Conversions - Shop Talk - Tools - Fabrication > Cummins 4BT
Cummins 4BT A forum just for the 4cyl cummins.

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
ISB 170 (Common Rrail 4bt)

anyone have any information on these engines? I've found one or 2 build threads where they've been brought up but nothing in depth.

power rating: 170hp
Torque: 440ft/lbs
Trans: Allison 1000

i know they share many internal components with the 5.9.... do they share the same injectors? pretty sure the CP3 is the same........

any info would be greatly appreciated.
iamduck82 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

there are two versions, one being the 3.9 and another is the 4.5 based off the current 6.7. Good luck finding any info.....it's scarce on the cummins website.
black-06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

http://cumminsengines.com/assets/pdf/4951315.pdf

i did some digging and found this...... the power #'s look similar to what i was describing but is labeled ISF 3.8.....

would be an interesting little unit to play with
Old 09-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

very costly engine to work with.
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

i've googled the ISF engines and you can get a used one out of china for 4,000 - 10,000.. i guess it all depends on what you want...... it weighs less than a 4BT, has better power at a lower RPM, and is a common rail......

would make a great 4x4 engine or in 1/2 ton
Old 09-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I found a new (2010) 3.9 at a dealer for $5600... I'm interested these too.

The weight is a huge plus for what I want to build.
Philofab is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Not quite the same, but after this guy emailed me about some parts I had for sale (he then emailed me the CL add for his truck) I'm also interested in the "other" 4bt motors...
I had been thinking of doing a 4bt (or maybe my spare 6bt) in my '74 supercab, but being a desert toy I wasn't positive I wanted diesel. I want a bit more HP and higher revving than the 4bt has, and the 6bt is quite a bit heavy for what I want to do.

Anyways - this add got me interested in different motors...

Hi craigslist friends. I'm parting ways with my 1978 Ford F350 Supercab pickup. I swapped in a REBUILT 4BD1T mechanical 3.9L turbodiesel motor from an Isuzu NPR. Vin: (X35SKAJ3387) Clean title.

THIS TRUCK IS 100% COMPLETE GENTLEMEN. ANYBODY CAN START A NEAT PROJECT, BUT COMPLETING IT TAKES ALOT OF TIME AND MONEY. I DID ALL THE WORK FOR YOU. I DAILY DRIVE THIS TRUCK AND CAN DRIVE IT CROSS COUNTRY TODAY.

It has a strong 4 speed T19 manual trans with a REBUILT US GEAR mechanical gear splitter, so, you can drive in direct gears on the street, and use the overdrive for the highway.

ISUZU 4BD1T TURBODIESEL, MINI DURAMAX. ISUZU BUILDS THE DURAMAX TURBODIESEL. MECHANICAL, DIRECT INJECTION MOTOR. MECHANICAL MAIN TRANS. MECHANICAL OVERDRIVE/GEAR SPLITTER. IN A SMOG EXEMPT, CALIFORNIA CHASSIS. AS SIMPLE AS IT GETS!

For those that are interested in a Cummins 4bt swap, LOOK NO FURTHER, this Isuzu 4bd1t is direct injected, the 4bt is not, THIS MOTOR IS FAR SUPERIOR TO THE RUDIMENTARY 4BT, this motor is a mini Duramax, the 4bdt1 is a much better design that vibrates alot less, has a wider powerband, is much more economic, has much stronger aftermarket support, and is good for 650k plus miles.

4BD1T DIRECT INJECTION IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO.

Here are the vehicle specifics:
1978 Ford F350 4X2, Supercab, Camper Special, turbodiesel
Motor is like a mini Duramax.
SMOG EXEMPT. NEVER EVER needs smog check.

Two full sized fuel tanks.
152,520 miles on chassis.
125,000 on Isuzu NPR motor.
Oil changes with half Rotella Synthetic, half Rotella Conventional with zinc, every 3500 miles.

ZERO RUST, CALIFORNIA TRUCK.

Keywords: Cummins, Perkins, Deutz, Detroit, Caterpillar, Powerstroke, TDI, CRD, HPCR, CDI, Navistar, Duramax, NPR, Isuzu, 4BD1T, 4BD2T, diesel, TDI, turbodiesel, biodiesel, greasecar, lovecraft, idi, turbo, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, F100, F150, F250, F350, crew cab, highboy

* These 19.5" Rickson wheels DO NOT come with the truck. Wheels are $1000 extra.

Last edited by ChaseTruck754; 09-29-2011 at 04:48 PM.
ChaseTruck754 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mmm...HELLCAT!!!

Thanked 4,276 Times in 2,648 Posts
4bt IS direct injection. It's a 12v with 2 cylinders lobbed off, basically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common View Post
Why would you buy a Hellcat for road trips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorSmokPls View Post
Because you can
MoparProud is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Basically? From what I've read it IS a 12v (whether a p-pump or VE version) - there is no basically...

I don't agree with everything the guy put in his add (he is marketing the thing to sell remember) but the add did spark my interest in the Isuzu motor.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754 View Post
Basically? From what I've read it IS a 12v (whether a p-pump or VE version) - there is no basically...

I don't agree with everything the guy put in his add (he is marketing the thing to sell remember) but the add did spark my interest in the Isuzu motor.
The common rail 4BT this thread is talking about is a 24V ISB with two cylinders lobbed off. It make much more power than a Isuzu. The Isuzu is a good motor but it makes about the same HP as an old stock mechanical 4BT.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I was replying to the post above mine, which I'm pretty sure was reponding to the CL add I put in my previous post.

Thanks to my post there's now too many "4bt" motors going on in this thread to keep clear in my little pea brain

I'm interested in any of the 3 really with the Isuzu motor and ISB being the front runners. I guess I should have started a different post to bring up the Isuzu motor but I figured this thread was an ok spot for it.

Anybody know the weight difference of the 3?

How about ability to mod? I know the 12v 4bt is can get about 250 HP fairly easily(?) depending on pump it has & the mods to the pump. Anybody know how easy it is to mod the Isuzu motor? How about the ISB? I know it starts out at the highest HP rating, but is it as easy to mod (computer/controller) as the 6 cyl. common rail motors?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

i'd assume with the right tools you can do the same modifications to the CR 4BT as the 6... but the tools would probably be found in a dealership or with someone who has the ability to tweak the computer programming.

from what i have heard/read. the mechanical components in the CR 4BT are the same as the 6..... meaning the same CP3, injectors and all that jazz.... so.... would strapping on a set of 90hp stick and a larger than stock turbo work... i don't see why not. i think a 400hp CR 4BT is realistic with the right tools..... a 4bt is 2/3 of a 6bt.... so why not... but this is all theory so far..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.