Registering an out of state truck in Cali - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Community Hall > Chapter Forums > California
CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Registering an out of state truck in Cali

Hey all,
I am looking to buy a '96 or '97 soon and the truck will likely come from a different state. I see on the CA DMV website that there is no smog required on pre '98 diesel trucks, but was just wondering if any of you Cali guys could tell me if I am going to have any trouble getting the truck registered here? Is it just a matter of paying the registration or are there any other requirements, like some kind of visual inspection required or anything like that?

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

You just have to have it weighed for Commercial plates.
dieseldemon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I just sold a truck to my brother about a month ago (90 f250 IDI). I'm a Tennessee resident but we both live in California. IIRC all he had to do was pay transfer/license fees/taxes and he also had to do a vehicle inspection. Brake/Lamp inspection or something similar. It wasn't too painful. One thing i might suggest is if you buy it from a dealer and bring it back, make sure you have proof of paying sales tax or you could get hit twice. Good luck.

(Sold) 04.5 3500 SRW HO 6spd
(Sold) 93 W250 5 spd
02 2500 4x2
IH8CALI is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I'm looking at a 97 12v in oregon, its at a dealer would I have to pay taxes on top. Oregon doesn't have sales tax right?
quickstorm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

You won't pay Oregon sales tax but when you fill out the paper work you'll pay CA sales tax. The dealer should do all the paperwork for you so you just have to sit back and wait for the tags. There's no way around CA state sales tax unfortunately. If you're buying it outright you can always do the old put the sale price a heck of a lot cheaper than what you paid.

(Sold) 04.5 3500 SRW HO 6spd
(Sold) 93 W250 5 spd
02 2500 4x2
IH8CALI is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to IH8CALI For This Useful Post:
DankCummins (06-06-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Less than two months ago I bought a '97 2500 from a couple in Phoenix and drove it back to San Diego. Since the AZ title doesn't list any weight, I had to get a weight cert for it (6720 lbs.). Then I had to pay CA sales tax, weight fee and registration. Being a '97 no smog was needed. It was all fairly painless and since this was an out of state private party sale, I was able to do everything at AAA office. If you buy a vehicle from an out of state dealer, you have to go to the DMV office. No vehicle inspection needed other than the AAA guy verifying the VIN number matched the AZ title.

Hope that helps.
cummins_mike is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Congrats on the new (old) truck, Mike! Just bought a '96 from a dealer in CO myself. Hopefully, should have it here within the next week or so. Maybe a silly question but where can I have it weighed?

Thanks for the help all.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeIron View Post
Congrats on the new (old) truck, Mike! Just bought a '96 from a dealer in CO myself. Hopefully, should have it here within the next week or so. Maybe a silly question but where can I have it weighed?

Thanks for the help all.
I originally did a Google search and found the closest one for me was at Allied Trucking in Poway. Many of the trucking/large moving companies will have certified weight scales. Not sure what's in your area but it should be fairly easy to find a place.

Congrats on yours. I am sure waiting for it is killing ya.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I'm considering bringing a 99-2003 truck into California. From what I've been reading, pre 98 trucks need no smog. 2007 trucks are the first to have smog equipment (DPF's EGR's). So what about the years in between, 98-2006? For example will a 2001 have a 49/50 state sticker under the hood like a 2007+ truck will?

Since a 2001, for example, doesn't have any smog equipment, is the smog test just a visual and smoke check? Or is there more to it?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

When you weigh it,remove the tailgate,spare and drive it in on fumes. They base the weight fee on unladen weight. Some guys have posted that the DMV has increments of weight,but lightening it up can't hurt.

I weighed my 2007 special ordered from DSM at Mayflower on Miramar Rd. San Diego.

AAA's ability to process used out of state vehicles is a huge plus.

Took me under an hour at the DMV,but they so wanted to deny me plates.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

So does DMV need to do a visual inspection of the truck?

Last edited by Smallz; 10-06-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Smallz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Yes, they will visually inspect it and verify the VIN. They looked at my door tag and the VIN tag on the dash to make sure they matched. Also verified it was a diesel.

I seriously doubt they would catch a cab swap IF... all the different tags/stickers that they could look at had the matching VIN, otherwise that could bring up some questions.

As it is, what you are doing is illegal under federal law so be forwarned. If you're caught, it could result in a lot more issues than you want to deal with. YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.