What are the laws regarding transporting fuel in a pickup? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Community Hall > Chapter Forums > California
CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What are the laws regarding transporting fuel in a pickup?

I am thinking of running a bio-diesel blend in my truck, to try and minimize the amount of my hard earned $'s that are leaving the country (and potentially funding our enemies). The problem is that the closest bio retailer is about 50 miles away, so I would have to buy a couple of barrels at a time to make it worth the trip. How much diesel fuel, if any, is it legal for us to carry in a pickup here in California? Are there any haz-mat placards or etc we need to display?
Bassthoven is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
not sure, but why not run the blend, but buy 100% bio, 5 gallon can per tank, 4 5 gallon containers will last you quite a while that way.
04.5 Qcab shorty Evil twin cp3's 210 over stock nozzles. HTT 64 71 13 ss over S 480, arp's Hamilton 181/ 210 cam and springs, GOEREND 48RE, UDC FTW! 2006 Liberty CRD w/ eco tune from GDE soon to b straight piped JD 1070 dzl
mikmaze is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Last I heard they had to be DOT approved containers. For personal use, you can haul a couple of 55 gallon drums secured properly. But I moved from California a few years a go. Call or check the DMV website. The state use to have this info on their web. I would recommend full Product labels, have a copy of the MSDS in the cab and hazardous stickers on each drum.
2006 Dodge Ram 2500, Big Horn, QuadCab, LB, 5.9L, 4x4, 48RE, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, 5" s/s exhaust, Smarty S06, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, Oil ByPass Filter, Coolant ByPass Kit, XX-Fuel System, Mag-Hytec 727DD, 285/70/17 MT
anoldbiker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaze View Post
not sure, but why not run the blend, but buy 100% bio, 5 gallon can per tank, 4 5 gallon containers will last you quite a while that way.
Thanks for your suggestion. I plan on buying some B99 and then starting off by blending about 5 gals of that with 28 gallons of #2, and then work my way up to the highest blend that my truck works well on. If I end up with a 40/60 or higher blend (which some people on here seem to be doing well on) I will need a couple of 55 gal drums at least. I could make my own, of course, or have it delivered, but not sure if either of those options are viable.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldbiker View Post
Last I heard they had to be DOT approved containers. For personal use, you can haul a couple of 55 gallon drums secured properly. But I moved from California a few years a go. Call or check the DMV website. The state use to have this info on their web. I would recommend full Product labels, have a copy of the MSDS in the cab and hazardous stickers on each drum.
Thanks for the info. I guess calling the DMV would be the safest bet. Just a bit DMVed out after spending two days at the local DMV office tying to register my truck.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

keep them under the bed rail and what ive ben told as long as its not a container of more then 119 gallons ur ok to haul how ever many u want thats what ive been told im not sure the truth
Bassthoven (02-25-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I am in no cal and have hauled 300 gal and had no problems. I buy all my diesel from Oregon (cheaper)
dieseldemon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 02:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldemon View Post
I am in no cal and have hauled 300 gal and had no problems. I buy all my diesel from Oregon (cheaper)
Unless the CHP in NorCal is more easy going than SoCal (which I doubt), I should be able to do the same then. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

as long as its for personal use you should be fine, hauling it for resale you would need the proper fuel endorsments...
07 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 5.9L... AFe Stage2 Cx Pro Dry S, WinSpeed heater delete, MRBP cat delete.... Quad boost Fooler 296.7hp baseline. 2" leveling kit with Ion 133 wheels wrapped with 35" Nitto's and wants a playmate for my stock turbo!
07Bighorn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I read something to the effect that you can haul 500 lbs of a "hazardous substance" (which I think diesel would be considered as far as the law is concerned) without a hazmat licence any more that that you need a commercial driver's licence with a hazmat endorsement. I could be completely wrong about that, too.

Having said that I've hauled the occasional drum or two of oil, and even did a pair of 275 gallon "totes" with no problems. The two 275 gal totes looked pretty impressive that's a lot of oil in the bed of a pickup truck. Each tote is 4x4x4 feet.
1000EE-Monarch is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I believe there is another endorsment ontop of the hazmat for fuel delivery.. not sure and my quick search found nothing, but that only applies for a commercial use/sale. We haul thousands of gallons of red diesel on road with no special permits or endorsments, but that falls under ag laws and we have to be within 10-20 miles (I think) of our home base...
07 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 5.9L... AFe Stage2 Cx Pro Dry S, WinSpeed heater delete, MRBP cat delete.... Quad boost Fooler 296.7hp baseline. 2" leveling kit with Ion 133 wheels wrapped with 35" Nitto's and wants a playmate for my stock turbo!
07Bighorn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

like the other guy said it is 119 gal. and dont get cought with more or the officer can realy nail you. that is why i hate living in CA to much regulation, but on the otherhand if its bio diesel i have heard of people geting away with spills because its plant matter. go figure! so you may be able to argue with judge about how its not diesel.
pukie370 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.