Bottom of door skin replacement - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > Auto Body
CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Bottom of door skin replacement

I have not done body work before so I am most likely going to take it to a body shop but was wondering how hard and how long would it take to replace the bottom 1/3 of the door skin on an 01 dodge? You can get the skin at JC Whitney for $60 instead of buying a whole door skin or door.

I am guessing they would have to cut the old one out and weld the new one in, then grind it down smooth, bondo it, sand it, then paint it, or is it more involved?

Anyone have any luck doing it themself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
most shops leave the old skin on, all they do is grind the edges off and overlap the new peice to the old skin and spot weld. This saves time in labour. Miself I cut the old metal out and butweld the new and old together, grind smooth and I apply a thin coat of fiberglass before I put bodyfiller just incase I have pinholes in my weld moisture wont bleed through and cause bubbles in the finish later on. for a first timer doing it ourself, I would say it would take you a good part of the day, if you have welding skills a little less.
Custom crew cab by me, DTT transmission internals,DB 48re single disk converter, Airdog 150, KDP tabed,ARP head studs, DDP stage 2 injectors, 100 plate, custom AFC, 60# valves springs, colt stage 3 big stick, 4k gsk, BD Super B, BD 3PC exhaust manifold, silverline 4" SS downpipe, 4" magnaflow exhaust with MBRP muffler, amsoil eaau4510 air filter, Custom front and rear bumpers by me, Autometer gauges, Toyo AT2's on 20x10 fuel hostage, custom 2" body lift, custom control arms, custom trac bar and bracket.
stephaner142 is online now   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to stephaner142 For This Useful Post:
jeepeater2003 (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

ok. This gives me a little more input. Thanks stephaner142. If thats all there going to do is lay it over the old one it should be a little cheaper than what I was orginally thinking.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,387 Posts
I wouldn't let them leave the old on there. How the heck are you going to make that look good? That would also create the perfect area for debris to collect which will hold water and rust even faster and more throughly. Trying to half a$$ it would take longer because of the filling and sanding to try and hide the leading edge of the new panel. Bad bad idea there.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I'm just saying that's how most body shops do it where I'm from. I've done it to my own mustang's door and it's still holding up. Where's the debris doing settle? There's no room, the metal's is stuck together. If the job's done right it require's very little filler. You can request to have the old sqin removed and but welded, might cost more. Get three quotes to get the best deal.
Custom crew cab by me, DTT transmission internals,DB 48re single disk converter, Airdog 150, KDP tabed,ARP head studs, DDP stage 2 injectors, 100 plate, custom AFC, 60# valves springs, colt stage 3 big stick, 4k gsk, BD Super B, BD 3PC exhaust manifold, silverline 4" SS downpipe, 4" magnaflow exhaust with MBRP muffler, amsoil eaau4510 air filter, Custom front and rear bumpers by me, Autometer gauges, Toyo AT2's on 20x10 fuel hostage, custom 2" body lift, custom control arms, custom trac bar and bracket.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,304 Times in 2,121 Posts
I am doing the doors on my 51 right now

Cut door skin off

Put a 45 on new skin

Put new skin butted up to door and weld

Tack in place

Bend lip around

Finish welding

Grind and wirewheel

Put coat of fibrepatch on

Sand down fibrepatch

Finish seam with bondo

2013 Ram 3500 Dually CTD 6.7/Aisin/4:10 LSD
Previous Rams:
90 CC Dually, 94 RC LB, 95 CC SB, 98 QC Dually, 00 QC Dually, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually, 05 QC Dually, 08 QC Dually, 10 CC Dually
Ram3500Dually is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

You guys are missing the point here this is exatly how I would do it, I was just saying that's how most shops do it up here unless you specify otherwise, it will cost more in labour to remove the old steel and but weld. You still get the same results. If you plan on going the work yourself then take your time and get rid of all the bad steel and start welding.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Oh, I know your point. I was showing the PROPER way to do it to last a lifetime. A body shop isn't gonna do it that way. They are going to dolly it down where the new skin goes over the old one, spot weld the skin over, bondo it up, bend the lip around and be done with it.
Previous Rams:
90 CC Dually, 94 RC LB, 95 CC SB, 98 QC Dually, 00 QC Dually, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually, 05 QC Dually, 08 QC Dually, 10 CC Dually
Old 12-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Yes, exactly, sorry guys sometimes I have a hard time expressing miself on the keyboard...
Old 12-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,387 Posts
I get what you are saying too. I've never left a panel on, and covered it. I still think that would look like crap. Open that door and seeing it be 4x thicker at the bottom. Lots of labor to get it smooth across the surface weld. No thank you, not in my shop.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The thickness of the door skins you buy today you would hardly notice LOL. And it won't be much thicker. You are only adding the thickness of two pieces of very thin tin. I made my panels out of 19 gauge and it still wasn't as thick as the factory panel
Previous Rams:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.