Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Best oil filter to run and oil

233K views 102 replies 75 participants last post by  91.5firstgen 
#1 ·
What is the best filters to run and oil, My first oil change is due and need to go the best route. Thanks in advance.

#64 ·
I use Mobile Devac 15 W 40 with a Mopar filter and get around 7500 miles per oil change.

#66 ·
Delo 400 with a k&n filter, always used their filters with no problems and i have found that they keep the oil much cleaner then some other filters ive used in the past. But i have owned 3 powerstrokes and just bought my first cummins a few days ago. Delo is what is mainly used in the big peterbilts and what not and if its good enough for those trucks then its good enough for mine.

#67 ·
I've seen a lot of "if it's good enough for the big rigs" comments. You guys know that the big rigs are easier on their oils than our trucks are right? Big rigs will start and run, sometimes a few thousand miles, and never shut down and they will run more of a constant RPM while cruising for a long trip. Our trucks, however, will run a short trip to the store and shut down, drive to the post office and shut down, stop for fuel and shut down. Our trucks suffer MUCH more fuel dilution than the big rigs do so our oils need to be able to combat that. Our trucks will also have many, many more cold starts than a big rig will, even though they have millions of miles and we only have thousands. Our trucks will also run higher RPM's because most of us do mostly stop and go driving. Yes a big rig will idle a lot more than our trucks, but they are built differently and are made to do that where ours are not. Our trucks engines work a lot harder than the big rig, think about it they are running 8+litre engines with 300-400 hp and we are running a 5.9L with 325 - ?. Our engines are harder on the oil than a big rig is, so the addage "if it's good enough for them" doesn't really apply.

Doug

Reactions: Duluth Diesel
#68 ·
FF56, that is true... A big rig engine, especially OTR engines are operate most of the time at their near perfect rpm where they are sharp tuned to operate like a Rolex with very few heat cycles and 4x as much oil as Our engines... 8 liter would be a very small rig engine, 12-14 is real common... With that said, they don't require an exotic oil and neither do Our trucks... Their engines and Our's are built by the same grade People that definitely know what's up...

#70 ·
Donaldson Oil Filter #

Whats the part number for a donaldson oil filter for an 06 5.9?

Thanks,
Derek

#75 ·
Oil Filter: Luber-Finer LFP-780
Engine Oil: Shell Rimula R4 CI4+, CI4

No rotella in my country...

#81 ·
I use Delo 400 15W-40 and the Fleetguard Stratapore filter. Buy them direct from Cummins NW. They are great filters. Just over 200K and I'm the original owner. :)

#82 ·
I run 15w40 Rotella and Wix filters. Almost lost my motorcyle motor to a fram, the filter would'nt let oil past it. Second but separate problems with a fram.

#84 ·
We've all seen the commercial, with the guy getting ready to take on a home intruder with a cardboard tube. "you wouldn't protect yourself with cardboard, so why protect your engine with cardboard?" Fram is junk for that reason. If your still in doubt, I challenge you to go to your local parts store and get a fram, as well as a couple other brands of filters to take home and cut apart. You will then understand.

I've sold Wix filters for years, and they make filters for just about everything with an engine in it. Needless to say I have 3 full isles of Wix filters at my parts store.

I run good ol' Shell rotella 15-40 and Wix filters on my diesel. My gas motors do get Mobil 1 brand oil filters and synthetic.

#85 ·
I run good ol' Shell rotella 15-40 and Wix filters on my diesel. My gas motors do get Mobil 1 brand oil filters and synthetic.
Wix filters are good, Amsoil/Donaldson are better. :thumbsup:

Reactions: DBLR
#86 ·
I get an ache in a private place to hear about amsoil.
piss poor service from the dealers and an overhyped product that is in no major way better than rotella or even the wal mart brand ; which stacks up better than most in blind testing.
I don't hear enough about frequent oil changes or sampling on this thread which is where the answers lie. the care lies more in the maintenance of the rig than in the brand or snake oil that you use.

Reactions: Snofarmer
#87 ·
I run Amsoil products and have UOA's to proove that it works well. I haven't seen the Rotella or Wal-Mart guys post any UOA's. :thumbsup:

#89 ·
Base stocks of oils are very nearly the same on all oils ; meeting the minimum standards , its the additives that run up the cost and the additives for the specialty oils do not calculate out well in light of the added cost.
In other words the cost of oiling a diesel with Wal Mart brand against the cost of the hyper-oils does not pencil out in any pragmatic fashion.

the hyper-oils are a feel good thing. The engine don't care much what kinda oil it gets as long as the oil cools and lubricates. this in spite of the fancy arguments put forth by the specialty guys.

frequency of changes, and sampling are of far greater benefit than the brand of oil used.

I know this is a long running argument and that the specialty people have built the argument to raise doubts and concerns, but the facts are there: that how many billions of gallons of mineral-based oil have lubed how many countless numbers of diesel engines in this world with little or no difference in performance or longevity when compared to the hyper-oils.

there are exceptions of course. I would use only the finest synthetic if i had a 5000 rpm puller or some such, but realistically....

Reactions: Snofarmer
#90 ·
frequency of changes, and sampling are of far greater benefit than the brand of oil used.
I agree....... I change my oil once per year which is somewhere around 12,000 miles and pull a sample annually. So far, the Amsoil 5W30 is producing great UOA's.

#93 ·
Any One Running Red Line Oil??

:party018: I did a search but nothing. Wondering if any one is running Red Line oil in their Cummins? In there Car or in their Bikes??

LBM:blues:

#99 ·
i run fleetguard filters, i buy them by the case (last time it cost me just under 9.50 for a filter. and then i run rotella oil.

but costco has a sale on that dellco blue bottled stuff, i might buy a few cases of that.

in the world of gun owners buying more ammunition at once decreases you cost per round, no reason you can't apply it to oil filters and oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.