CNG Milage up date - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Alternative Fuels, Additives, Oils & Lubricants
CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The farthest I have ever got on straight diesel and never above 60mph was 480 miles on my truck.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #26 (permalink)

MPG update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longcummins View Post
Well here is what the total trip cost me in dollars 170.28 in CNG 374.08 in diesel for a total of 544.36 dollars. The total miles driven were 2619 miles. I divided 544.36 by 2619 = .20785032 cents per mile. I ran empty on my way down no load cost me .17333 cents per mile. Coming back with 20' goose neck loaded up with tractor, bush hog, log splitter and a bunch of scrap metal and misc stuff for use on my property. Not to bad for a do it yourself CNG system. Also I was not able to fill up with CNG in Nashville on my return trip because the station was closed at 11:00 pm when I went through there. That would have helped out a lot with the milage on the final leg of my trip. When I went through there I was down to about 1200 psig.
question for you were you pulling the empty gooseneck down there or did you pick it up down there. Thanks conks8

Looking forward to your diy thread
conks8 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I picked it up there in Galveston county.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Since you're burning more CNG than diesel your putting less of it into the engine and not diluting the oil; a big part of the reason running CNG is much cleaner.

FYI; any military members, you should be able to fill up for free at any military installation that carries CNG; the two close to my house both have tanks where you just fill and go. With 13 gge and my commute I may only have to fill up the diesel tank once a month, maybe less, and cause a lot less wear and tear due to the shorter trips I'll be making. I'll have to check out that DIY thread, as it's looking like about $2,500 for the conversion (with tank).
MiniMax w/pyro and Overdrive; Sinister EGR/cooler delete; CCV breather; Shibby delete plugs; Diamond Eye delete pipe;MBRP muffler delete pipe; Fumoto; 5100's; Custom Diesel box brace; Diesel Max tank vent kit; Putco in-channel vent visors; Husky floor liners; dash cover; shimmed FRV; EBC Ultimax with 7100 green pads; modded S300SX3-S366 ; Flo-Pro HX40 downpipe; ATS 3rd gen mani with stainless studs; AFE Stage 2 XP CAI.
norfla71 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longcummins View Post
The farthest I have ever got on straight diesel and never above 60mph was 480 miles on my truck.

I made it from Richmond to Jacksonville on one tank (almost 600 miles) but I did every hyper miler trick in the book to get there, including taking off the tailgate, 80 psi all around, CC and staying speed limit or 5 under when possible. That's not bad (about 22 avg) for an undeleted truck. Towing my fiver I made it to about exit 90 in SC from Jax (350 or so miles).

Can't wait to see what a CNG and EFI live combo will do.
MiniMax w/pyro and Overdrive; Sinister EGR/cooler delete; CCV breather; Shibby delete plugs; Diamond Eye delete pipe;MBRP muffler delete pipe; Fumoto; 5100's; Custom Diesel box brace; Diesel Max tank vent kit; Putco in-channel vent visors; Husky floor liners; dash cover; shimmed FRV; EBC Ultimax with 7100 green pads; modded S300SX3-S366 ; Flo-Pro HX40 downpipe; ATS 3rd gen mani with stainless studs; AFE Stage 2 XP CAI.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:26 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfla71 View Post
Since you're burning more CNG than diesel your putting less of it into the engine and not diluting the oil; a big part of the reason running CNG is much cleaner.

FYI; any military members, you should be able to fill up for free at any military installation that carries CNG; the two close to my house both have tanks where you just fill and go. With 13 gge and my commute I may only have to fill up the diesel tank once a month, maybe less, and cause a lot less wear and tear due to the shorter trips I'll be making. I'll have to check out that DIY thread, as it's looking like about $2,500 for the conversion (with tank).
I have a question I live near fort carson and it has a station but not sure if it is ever used anymore. But I am pretty sure it takes a card to use. How do I use it?
conks8 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #31 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfla71 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by conks8 View Post
I have a question I live near fort carson and it has a station but not sure if it is ever used anymore. But I am pretty sure it takes a card to use. How do I use it?
You don't just fill up for free and go...

More than likely if the base has a CNG station it is for the govt vehicles that are running on CNG and not for the typical consumer (military or not). The fill station is probably at the GOV/Vehicle Dispatch and used only for those vehicles. The pumps usually require a code or special key (typically attached to each vehicle key chain) to even turn the pump on.

In any event, the government is def. not giving away free CNG, no matter how cheap it is.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I would love to find some place that the government is giving away free CNG hahah . No they will not give it away unless you happen to be a none tax paying immigrant etc then they will give you a new business and car house what ever you heart desire. Then we the tax payer will buy it for you.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #33 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Interesting....

I get hydraulic oil for free and run it most of the time with water meth. I wonder if its worth running CNG and the free fuel just to keep the internals cleaner. I know the water meth cleans it up a bit but still interesting.
96 12v 4x4 regular cab, kdp killed, BHAF, 5in farmboy's exhaust, fuel plate MIA, 4kgsk, AFC mods, 22s 33s, 3:55s, pyro, boost, trans*, fp, Stg 3 Snow perf water/meth, BILLET ATS, 5x16s, 62/65/14, timing ~17.5 (thanks vinylman!) mack plug
Gasoline Sucks is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

My understanding is that yes it is very clean for your engine. I haven't had to tear mine apart yet hope I don't have to anytime soon either. But I know that I will be doing head studs in the next year. Then I hope to get to send my head in to Haisley machine to get the ports fixed to flow better then I will actually see how clean it is.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
You don't just fill up for free and go...

More than likely if the base has a CNG station it is for the govt vehicles that are running on CNG and not for the typical consumer (military or not). The fill station is probably at the GOV/Vehicle Dispatch and used only for those vehicles. The pumps usually require a code or special key (typically attached to each vehicle key chain) to even turn the pump on.

In any event, the government is def. not giving away free CNG, no matter how cheap it is.
Don't know if you are military or not; I am retired Navy. The two Naval stations near my house will let anyone with a CNG system fill up for free; please do not presume anything said is false without first checking your facts and sources.

I asked a couple of years ago; the main reason for this is most of the CNG fleet is aging and being sold, without viable replacements (may or may not be completely accurate). To fill, there is no key, and I don't believe you have to let the attendents know you're getting it (all this may have changed now). I actually had to ask twice just to make sure it was that simple.

Quote:
I would love to find some place that the government is giving away free CNG hahah . No they will not give it away unless you happen to be a none tax paying immigrant etc then they will give you a new business and car house what ever you heart desire. Then we the tax payer will buy it for you.]
As for being a "none tax paying immigrant etc" , "Then we the tax payer will buy it for you" don't forget this is only on military installations (at least near me); we all pay for it, no matter if in uniform or out. For the sacrifices active military make I think you can safely call this a small "thank you" and be on your way.

Anyone care to take me on about this (and, by proxy, millions of active duty and veterans)? Yeah, it burns me up when people automatically heap us with "non tax paying imigrants". Everyone has opinions, and you have the right to express them; just remember who defended that right for you before you start callously throwing rhetoric at us.

Last edited by norfla71; 06-04-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #36 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Sucks View Post
Interesting....

I get hydraulic oil for free and run it most of the time with water meth. I wonder if its worth running CNG and the free fuel just to keep the internals cleaner. I know the water meth cleans it up a bit but still interesting.
Your truck is old enough where, if properly filtered, sticking with the hyd. fluid would be your better choice since you get it free. CNG will keep your oil cleaner, but the cost of converting will far offset any maintenance costs you'll save. As I stated it will cost me about $2,000, but may be closer to $3,500 if I go with larger tanks. With CNG being about $2 gge right now national avg. you'll never recoup your cost. Just keep up with maintenance. Those non CR Cummins last millions of documented miles with nothing more than good maintenance.

The 6.7 on the other hand... I'm only doing it because I need this truck to commute and the CNG is free for me. At current prices (I'll be driving over 30k a year) I'm fully expecting to recoup the conversion cost in a year or so.

Last edited by norfla71; 06-04-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.