CNG in a diesel - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Alternative Fuels, Additives, Oils & Lubricants
CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-skydiver View Post
CNG is such a logical choice. I would love to run it.

ewsews.com has these on sale for $499 without the tank. Can this be all the kit costs...really?
Looks easy enough:

Prices- CNG conversion kits cylinders tanks

Does anyone have any real world experience with a CNG kit? improved mileage/fuel economy? as much power as advertised? I have a friend running Propane on a 7.3 Powerstroke, but not CNG... would think it is very similar. His power increase was dramatic, but it is a different fuel.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Last edited by aftermarket4x4; 02-29-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling
aftermarket4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
MMMM......BACON!!!

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
the company I work for is giving away 21 new CNG vehicles to its employees today, via random draw. Got my fingers crossed. Here's a video of the announcement yesterday on fox news.

Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos
2004 Ford F150 4x4
chrisminx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

just got my figures back from Ingrosoll Rand and the fire marshall into what the cost will be for a small refueling station. Bunches more than I thought! That Phill pump is looking better all the time.

Could I hook it up to 4 or 5 tanks so a person could quick fill? That way a 3-5guys could split the cost.
building a frankenstien: 49 chevy PU pro street 96 12V, no plate, cranked arm, 20*, rack plug, FC DV'S, 5X18, 4K gsk, ported, o-ringed, 12mm studs, 60#, twins S300/S400, single 6" stack, built 47RE, Ford 9" locker w/4:11, Drive turned up 98 12V mixing WVO.
domar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

The more storage you have the better. Their is a way that you set up the valve system so that it works in a cascade. Thats how the station where I fill up works. A valve will open up tank # 1 and fill the tank up until the pressures equalize then that valv closes and the next tank open to bring the pressure to the point where they are almost equal then to the next and next and so on.
domar (03-02-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Yes I do have real world experience with cng. But I didnt by a kit like you are showing in the picture. I made my system my self or at least put the pieces to the puzzle together on my own. Yes you do get a pretty good bump in horse power it all depends on how much cng you adding. I have gotten 28.5 mpg hand calculated at fill up with miles driven.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Is anyone using the kit offered by ews (.ewsews.com)? Very simple and relatively cheap. My payback would be quick on that one.

It looks like the ng is injected (fogged) just based on the pressure differential created by the turbo. (I could be wrong) Very simple.

Anyone using this system or one like it?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
Diesel Head

interesting.......
Old 03-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaq sqat View Post
Is anyone using the kit offered by ews (.ewsews.com)? Very simple and relatively cheap. My payback would be quick on that one.

It looks like the ng is injected (fogged) just based on the pressure differential created by the turbo. (I could be wrong) Very simple.

Anyone using this system or one like it?
don't know anyone using their kits but I here they have the best and have many of them on the road.

You are right that the diesel kit works off the pressure differential of the turbo....if you have a 12 valve. Any of the newer motors with electronics I believe tie into them for control.

Man I just wish there was a filling station around my town. This country spends trillions on the bail-out with nothing to show for it.....If they would have invested that money in converting to CNG we would all be paying 1/3-1/2 for our fuel and giving OPEC the finger. Talk about boosting the economy!
building a frankenstien: 49 chevy PU pro street 96 12V, no plate, cranked arm, 20*, rack plug, FC DV'S, 5X18, 4K gsk, ported, o-ringed, 12mm studs, 60#, twins S300/S400, single 6" stack, built 47RE, Ford 9" locker w/4:11, Drive turned up 98 12V mixing WVO.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #33 (permalink)
MMMM......BACON!!!

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Here's some good reading:

Business
Natural Gas to Power Pickups
By Jeff Bennett
862 words
5 March 2012
1:22 PM GMT
The Wall Street Journal Online
English
Copyright 2012 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

U.S. auto makers are introducing pickup trucks powered by natural gas as they look to catch the growing wave of interest in the fuel as an alternative to gasoline.

On Tuesday, Chrysler Group LLC plans to disclose it will build the first production-line pickup truck powered by natural gas. The auto maker is promising to build at least 2,000 heavy-duty Ram bi-fuel trucks that run on a combination of compressed natural gas and gasoline starting in June.

General Motors Co. on Monday plans to disclose it will offer bi-fuel Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500 pickups in the fourth quarter. The trucks will be built by GM and sent to a supplier that will retrofit them to use compressed natural-gas tanks.

In 2009, the American Gas Association and America's Natural Gas Alliance met with a variety of auto makers to urge them to build complete CNG-powered pickups at the factory.

Chrysler, which was put under the management control of Italian auto maker Fiat SpA in 2009, took on the challenge.
"As a result of our partnership with Fiat, we are able to get to market with this as quickly as we have to start testing to see the future of this CNG technology," said Chrysler Ram chief Fred Diaz. Chrysler will sell the Ram 2500 pickups to fleet operators or natural-gas explorers.

Houston natural-gas explorer Apache Corp. has been prodding auto makers to build CNG vehicles for years. Since 2009, the company has converted a quarter of its 1,000 U.S. vehicle fleet to CNG, and expects to increase that to 80%. Chief executive Steven Farris drives a Chevy Avalanche that was retrofitted to run on CNG.

The company's 250 natural-gas powered vehicles were retrofitted at dealerships, however, raising costs and complexity. Auto makers' decision to build CNG vehicles on the factory floor helps Apache by providing a single source of truck supply and parts. And it helps position natural gas as a vehicle fuel supported in the mass market, said Frank Chapel, Apache's director of natural gas transportation fuels. "It shows [auto makers] think they can do this and actually get a payback," Mr. Chapel said.

Honda Motor Co. has been selling its CNG-powered Civic NG passenger car in the U.S. since 1998. The car, which runs only on natural gas, is distributed by 200 dealers in 36 states with a starting price of about $26,200.
Chrysler said its CNG-powered Rams can travel 255 miles on the fuel before automatically switching to an eight-gallon gasoline tank for an additional 112 miles. GM's pickups would go up to 650 miles using both CNG and gasoline.

The biggest hurdle to wider use is refueling. Today there are fewer than 400 public CNG fueling stations in the U.S.

The interest in natural-gas vehicles comes as gasoline prices are on the rise again and support for using domestic natural gas to replace oil is gaining support. After years of promoting electric cars, President Obama signaled a change in the administration when he said during his January State of the Union speech the nation needs to explore all alternative energy sources.

"We have a supply of natural gas that can last America nearly 100 years," Mr. Obama said in his speech. "My administration will take every possible action to safely develop this energy. Experts believe this will support more than 600,000 jobs by the end of the decade."

Chrysler said its CNG Rams will be built at a Saltillo, Mexico, pickup plant and outfitted with two tanks that sit in the forward position of the 8-foot pickup bed. Inside, the dashboard has two fuel gauges with one displaying a fuel pump over the initials CNG.

"For us, this is the first step and if the opportunity presents itself we wouldn't turn our back on a CNG-powered passenger car," said Peter Grady, Chrysler's vice president of network development and fleet. "We aren't working on it now but we do have it in the back of our minds."

GM will build its pickups in Fort Wayne, Ind., and send them to Impco Automotive in Union City, Ind., for installation of the CNG delivery and storage system. The company will take orders in April and start production in the fourth quarter.

Ford Motor Co. has been offering CNG prep kits for about a half-dozen vehicles, including the Transit Connect, since 2009. It will expand the offering to its large Ford 650 pickup truck in the third quarter.

Ford modifies the engines in the vehicles at the factories to operate on CNG and then allows the customer to choose how and where they are fitted with the storage tanks.

Rob Stevens, Ford's chief engineer for commercial trucks, said the approach allows the company to offer the CNG option across more vehicles. It will switch to factory-built CNG vehicles once demand increases, he said.

Ben Lefebvre contributed to this article.
Write to Jeff Bennett at jeff.bennett@dowjones.com
Document WSJO000020120305e835002xl
2004 Ford F150 4x4
chrisminx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #34 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Running CNG has me more excited than running bio or wmo. I can get one of the kits posted above and an 8 gal gge with about 4 years left on it for about $1000. Not to bad. Horsepower and economy, not too bad.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #35 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaq sqat View Post
Running CNG has me more excited than running bio or wmo. I can get one of the kits posted above and an 8 gal gge with about 4 years left on it for about $1000. Not to bad. Horsepower and economy, not too bad.
I hear you and the figures you are stating are what I see also.

NOW FOR THE BIG QUESTION.......do you have access to CNG? Unfortunely getting your truck to run on CNG is the easy part. Finding CNG is the hard part!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #36 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I live in northern Utah, so CNG isn't that hard to get. I pass four cng stations on my way to work (but I commute 40 miles each way).

I'll be starting my biodiesel processor within the next week. I am assuming that cng and bio will play well together. Anyone running wvo/bio/wmo with cng?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.