Want to run biodiesel- Pros & Cons - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Alternative Fuels, Additives, Oils & Lubricants
CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Want to run biodiesel- Pros & Cons

Hello everyone.

New to the site and new to the cummins motor. I would like to run bio diesel in my truck but not sure what i need to do before i run it. I have also read that it is recommended to run B5 and at most run B20, Why? I have access to comercial manufactured bio diesel that i can purchase at cost plus tax, which comes out to about $1.80 to $2.00 a gallon . I want to be able to take advantage of this but dont want to scew up my motor. I had a 7.3l powerstorke previous to my cummins and had no issues running a 70% blend, would like to do the same in my cummins.

Any info will help and thanks in advance,
Mike
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

It is my understanding from research, that blends of biodiesel greater than 50% run in the common rail('03 and up)Cummins will begin to cause problems.

What happens, is the common rail high pressure system changes the molecular structure of the biofuel, making it "stringy" which will cause filter plugging. Not all of the pressurized fuel is injected, and a certain percentage is returned to the fuel tank. Over time, more and more of the "stringy' fuel concentrates in tank, which then begins to clog the fuel filter. The degree of how this happens may be dependant on what type of basestock is used for the biodiesel as well.

If you take a look at the progress of emission standards, fuel injection pressures have steadily increased to comply, not only in the Cummins engine, but all manufacturers. High concentrations of biofuels are probably more suitable for older diesel engines.

I, myself will not run more than B20, and only during the warmer months as not to have any gelling issues. And at this concentration, I don't experience any power or economy losses. Biodiesel has 7% less energy by volume than petroleum diesel.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a 96 5.7 cummins and have run biodiesel in it for 70K miles with no problems associated with the fuel except for gelling in the winter in Albuquerque. In the summer I run B100 all the time. I also have a 2006 and have run b100 in the summertime and in the winter I run b50 without any problems. I have a transfer tank in each truck Which I fill with b100 and in the winter time I usually will run the truck near empty then buy 17 gallons of petro diesel and place in the original tank and then fill up the original tank with bio from the transfer tank. From now on I will start buying less petro diesel and filling with more biodiesel until I reach B100 in May. So far, works great.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I have been running b100 since I bought it and no problems. Once temp is consistantly below 40 i blend 50/50 but I make my own and only use soy which gells around 35 or so. I think people are just scared. I figured that I could destroy a set of tips every 13000 miles and still be money ahead on running bio. It only cost me 1.25 a gallon to make. I do lose a bit in mileage, like 2-3 MPG or so but who cares at 1.25. Just my .02. Oh, BTW 28000 miles and no issues.
2006 2500 Mega Limo 5.9 CRD w/homebrew Biodiesel Triple Dogged w/ Outlook 2 inch level kit, AFE Torque tube, Racor 490, Amsoil BHAF 4510, CFM+,Transgo, Revmax Single disc. Sonnax front and accum pistons, 45% extruded nozzles and the damn muffler just fell off!
ak_cowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Correction to my post on 3/20. I have one problem since I have started using biodiesel. The 3 to 4 inch long 90 degree hose connecting the fuel heat/ primary filter to the mechanical lift pump started to suck air and the truck died. A $15 hose at the Cummins dealer and I was back on the road after repriming. The hose was soft and goey with a hole in it. The rubber was obviously incompatible with 100% bio.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

That hose must have been replaced once already with rubber hose. All vehicle after 93/94 model year had nitrile impregnated hose for running higher amounts of ethanol in gas shich also help with running bio in diesels.
2006 2500 Mega Limo 5.9 CRD w/homebrew Biodiesel Triple Dogged w/ Outlook 2 inch level kit, AFE Torque tube, Racor 490, Amsoil BHAF 4510, CFM+,Transgo, Revmax Single disc. Sonnax front and accum pistons, 45% extruded nozzles and the damn muffler just fell off!
ak_cowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

OK. So you guys are saying a truck in stock form can run bio without having to change lift pumps, filter housings or for that matter anything on the stock fuel system. I'm considering running it with the price of fuel on the rise.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I have ran soy power B20 or biomass B11 for a few years with no problems at all. When the temp gets below 32 degrees I add some antigell and dont have any gelling problems. Personally I perfer a bio blend or pure bio if I can get it.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just make sure you change the fuel filter after 200 miles and carry a new one with you. This is the main problem switching to bio. Filter maintence is the main problem until you clean out the fuel system.
crawbob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Anybody know where to locate bio diesel? I live in south dakota and most probably dont do bio diesel here since it's colder. but hell for 1.25 a gallon, i'm game. Even 3 bucks I'm stealing it LOL.
scubieman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Safeway S-20 fuel

I'm a new-to-me 2001 Dodge Cummins owner. Been buying my fuel at Safeway. Maybe the S20 sticker has always been on the pump, but I just noticed it.

Two weeks ago, my truck was leaking fuel. Took the truck to the mechanic, who told me the fuel filter rubber seal failed. He has NEVER seen that before.

Is S20 20% soy? Does Cummins approve of this fuel? Did it cause the failure? Did it plug the fuel filter?

Revision after research....
(ANS: No. S20 is Sulfur max content = Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel.)
(ANS. Oregon has mandated all diesel to be at least 2% bio...could be soy or???)
(ANS. Probably did not cause the seal to fail or the fuel filter to plug)

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by jcgracie; 05-16-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Much research found answers.
jcgracie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

go to Alternative Fuel Fill Stations and Prices
Saline42 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.