Amsoil Synthetic vs. Shaeffer's Oil Synthetic - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Alternative Fuels, Additives, Oils & Lubricants
CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Talking Amsoil Synthetic vs. Shaeffer's Oil Synthetic

Ok I know this is going to open a can of worms but….

I see a very few number of people using the Schaeffer’s oil (maybe because it’s not well known or readily available in some areas??) and most others using Amsoil.

I found a shop that is only 2 miles away and they have Schaeffer’s oil products. I honestly just skimmed over their site (Schaeffer Oil 3.0 | Industrial Lubricants | Diesel Fuel Additive | Synthetic Motor Oils ) and liked what I see, however I know that Amsoil is pretty darn good if not the best.

The guy at the shop priced me the Supreme 7000 which is not full synthetic, and a Napa Gold oil filter, and said that they would have to change it (to make some money) and the full price in writing is $134.28.

I asked if I could supply my own filter as I know from this forum that there are better ones (fleet guard, etc.) and the guy said absolutely and they would just use it.

The shop is a family business, they do great work (from people I know), they take their time to do it right which I don’t mind waiting on something to be done right than have someone do it in a hurry. I looked at their bays and saw a few generals (people who looked like they have been doing it awhile and had experienced under their belt) and one younger guy (maybe mid 20’s). Their owner is always focused on training for his techs and is always sending his techs to any new advancement/technology courses that are out.

I haven't had a chance to get a qoute for the Supreme 9000 full synthetic so I plan on giving them a ring soon to ask. Who knows maybe I can just get them to let me pick it up/order it (if they don't have it right now) for me and I can put it in myself

Enough talk about the shop…

Schaeffer’s Synthetic Supreme 9000 has two things that I found interesting—one is Micro Moly® and Penetro® . The Micro Moly® is suppose to bond to the metal for superior protection for start-up. I am wondering if this is snake-oil speak or not.

And it appears that Schaeffer’s 9000 does not come in 15w-40 like Amsoil does (both have 5w40 though)…

So is Schaeffer’s Synthetic Supreme 9000 better than or just as good as Amsoil? I would love to see a real scientific study against the two…

I’m heading off line here and will check later…I appreciate your thoughts and opinions!

2004.5, 2x4, quad, AFE Pro Dry, Bill's Custom 5" Intake, Byrd's intake horn, 94k miles, Auto, Royal Purple (most places), fleetguard, cat ran off with my silencer ring, Stock tune, and other prototype stuff
Sparky#12 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

only had experience with amsoil. i've posted a couple different times but the reason i choose amsoil isn't scientific, it's from experience. my dad has a mid 70's chain saw, amsoil run through it since day 1, i took it apart ina small engines class in 05, it still ha the hone marks in the cylinder and barely a ridge at the top, the carbon build up was next to nothing for the year. i've run it in everything i can and will continue to do so because. i gained about 1 mpg with amsoil in my blazer, and on a 0 degree day 5w-30, i get full 60 psi of oil pressure in 1 second, even after sitting for a few days.

just my .02

amzoil, the first in synthetics and also a group 4 synthetic(no delo involved) and royal purple is the only other one that i know of in that group.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
I have used both. I can tell you that I hated the Shaeffer's oil. The color is weird/cool but I noticed a weird sound(no way to decribe it really) coming out of the engine the moment I put it in. Oil pressure was also lower than normal. Left it in for about 500miles and took it out and put amsoil in, and all the weird noises went away!
[04.5 QCSB] Jeff Garmon's Fat Shaft billet 48RE, 6" superlift, 37" Toyo M/T, XD Monsters, Super B Special/ S480 race cover, ATS twin pumps, II 65lpm (~250hp), ARP, Smarty SSR, AirDog 150, TC rail, 25k / 27k PRV's, Rail/fuel/EGT/boost/throttle%/load% gauges, Flex-a-Lite, 6" MBRP stacks, grid delete
TXAustin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAustin View Post
I have used both. I can tell you that I hated the Shaeffer's oil. The color is weird/cool but I noticed a weird sound(no way to decribe it really) coming out of the engine the moment I put it in. Oil pressure was also lower than normal. Left it in for about 500miles and took it out and put amsoil in, and all the weird noises went away!
I'm not joining in the comparison, but was just gonna comment on oil pressure... Running a little lower oil pressure can many times means that the oil is flowing and moving over and through parts very well...
K.Kiser is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

If you want to get a full details on the oils go over to bobistheoilguy.com

I know there is a couple of Schaffer reps as well as Amsoil reps and they can give pros and cons, I have never run but I see both positive and negative about both oils.....so for what it is worth
Old 12-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Schaeffer's is the oldest oil company in the United States and has typically in the past catered more toward the industrial and agricultural markets. In recent years, their trend is making the product available to a broader base of customers, from what I gather. The founder of the above mentioned website, bobistheoilguy.com is/was a Schaeffer's oil company representative.

Their is no doubt, Schaeffer's oil is a quality product. The series 7000 15W-40 is usually around 1/2 the cost of a full synthetic, and capable of extended drain intervals. The additive package is robust. The composition of this oil is 20-25% PAO, the rest being group II+ and additive package. This is what I'm currently using, and I paid $18 a gallon, full retail price. You can order it wholesale, and they'll provide free shipping on orders over $300.

The series 9000 is 20-25% PAO with the rest Group III basestock and the same additive package. They can call it full synthetic, just like all the other oil companies do, because of the trade ruling of Castrol vs. Mobil 1 some years ago. Even amsoil markets a line of group III oil and labels it as synthetic oil, too!

In my opinion, the Schaeffer's product offers a better cost/benefit ratio. It has been said, all the virtures of a full synthetic can be had by simply using a blend of it, and any base oil is nothing, without a decent additive package. Cheers
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.