Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 diesel engine oil

14K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  SilverFox66 
#1 ·
Any one use this oil - Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 diesel engine oil? How do you like it? I normally use Mobil 1 Turbo diesel oil but This is on sale for $100 and there is a $60 rebate so the the price drops to $40 for a 5 gallon bucket.

#3 ·
Wow, that is an excellent price! It runs around 30 bucks a gallon where I live. Every once in a while it will be on sale for 25 bucks a gallon. Where are you getting it at for that price? I have used it before on my Powerstroke with good results. I just recently did my first oil change on my Ram and added the Mobil Delvac. I expect the same good results I got from my previous uses.

#5 ·
I live about 40 miles southwest of Chicago and a Farm & Fleet opened near me. Just got the sale paper today in the mail. I believe Farm & Fleet only has stores in Illinois, Iowa and Indiana. I hoping the rebate is cash and not a store rebate.

#4 ·
I forgot to mention that it is suppose to be superior to the Mobil 1 TD Oil. No proof, I have picked that up reading some other forums that have compared the Delvac Mobil to the Mobil 1. But again, I know it was a different engine (Powerstroke) but I always had good results from Blackstone when I did oil analysis.

#7 ·
Great Oil !!

:wink2: I have used the Delvac 1 oil in two Powerstrokes and now my new Cummins and I love it!! I have used Mobil synthetic products for 27 years, in everything that I own, and that has been a lot of different applications over the years!! :cool:

Reactions: rainman
#8 ·
Mobil's rebates are sent in check form :thumbup: I have been using Delvac for quite some time, and stock up when they run rebates, which are usually twice a year. Just about everybody has some sort of deal on their CJ-4 oils right now, to make room on the vendors shelves for the new CK-4 oils :thumbup:

#10 ·
I buy my Delvac 1 from Farm and Fleet here as well, I'm up near Crystal Lake Illinois. Daily price is $21.99 a gallon and 2 bucks off during sales about once a month. They also have Deka group 65 that are right about $100 per on sale.

#11 · (Edited)
My local Rural King now has the Delvac ESP 1 5W-40 synthetic in the 5gal pail for $120 every day. While thats not as cheap as the $100 sale posted above, thats still $24/gal, which is WAY cheaper than the $30 - $34/gal it normally goes for. When you figure in the great Mobil rebates ($60 off a 5gal pail of this oil) it then becomes $60/5gal pail, or $12/gal.... which is what regular Delvac 15W-40 is around here ($12.50/gal on average) :thumbup:

I have been running the regular Delvac 15W-40 for 2 reasons:

1) I have an oil change regiment of changing the oil once a year, around the first of the year. I average 12K - 13K miles/year on my truck. I change the filter (and fill it with a fresh quart of oil) twice a year or approx every 4 months/4K miles. Oil analysis from Blackstone shows the oil to be in great shape for an annual/13K miles oil change. So, since a regular 15W-40 DINO HDEO has no problem going 1 year/13K miles, and we normally dont have much sub zero temps around here warranting the 5W-40 synthetic, and I park in a garage (which helps a LOT, I dont care what people say) and I can plug my truck in if needed.... I didnt see the need to spend the extra on the synthetic, when the DINO oil did what I needed it to do.

2) I get the DINO Delvac 15W-40 for $7.50/gal after rebate at Rural King. Its normally $12.50/gal, and Mobil has $5/gal rebates often on this oil.

My current costs for fuel/oil maintenance for 1 year:
$28.35 - 3.5 gallons Delvac 15W-40 (3gal for full change & 2 quarts makeup/filter change) @ 7.50/each + tax
$18 - 3 Baldwin BT7349 oil filters (changed every 4K miles/4 months)
$24 - 2 Baldwin PF7977 fuel filters (stock bowl location, change every 6 months)
$17.27 - CAT 1R-0750 Filter (Secondary fuel changed once per year)
$87.62 Total ...... I can live with that for fuel/oil maintenance.

Although, if I can get the ESP 1 synthetic for $12/gal, I may have to check into it. My only concern isnt the quality of the oil, but if it is better for my truck than what I am running. The 15W-40 Delvac was designed for trucks like ours. The ESP 1 synthetic was designed for big rigs with long run times, lots of idling, never being shut off etc... Plus, Im not sure if its designed to keep soot in suspension like the 15W-40 DINO. Looks like a call to Mobil to ask a few questions, is in my future lol :thumbup:

#12 ·
The ESP 1 synthetic was designed for big rigs with long run times, lots of idling, never being shut off etc... Plus, Im not sure if its designed to keep soot in suspension like the 15W-40 DINO. Looks like a call to Mobil to ask a few questions, is in my future lol :thumbup:
Delvac ESP is a very stout oil and lots of people show excellent oil analysis results using it. The detergent package is very robust with a very high TBN number. You may even consider 1.5 - 2 year OCIs using such an oil, the additive package is that stout :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.