Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel additive

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Gunny Fitz 
#1 ·
I have a 04.5 5.9 cr with 142000 miles on it. This last week on the way to work i developed a knock around the #1 injector. I noticed the fuel line going to the #1 injector had a pulse in it. My buddy recommended i try a bottle of stanadyne in my truck before i start throughing money at it to see if its something that could be cleaned out. Ive only put about 60 miles on it with the stanadyne in it (im nurvice to drive it much more). I have not noticed any difference in the knock yet. So im wondering how much longer to let it go before going to get it looked at by the dealer.

I have no other problems with the truck besides the knock coming from around the #1 injector and the pulse in the #1 fuel line. No code, no smoke, no change in oil level or pressure, no lose in power. Sound great minus the knock!

Any help would be appreciated!

#2 ·
Injector kill test is probably in order. If no change, pull injectors and perform compression test. You sure it's not coming from the bottom end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I'd take it to a nail salon before the dealer...
keep reading the threads... and others will post...

#6 ·
Many guys dump in a bottle or two of trans fluid to clean out things and swear by it. Gets rid of all sorts of ailments. Make sure no injector lines came loose. Give them a good snug.
As for a good nail salon, no. You don't give your location. You'll find most guys on this forum will tell you the dealer is the last, last, last place to take the truck.

#10 · (Edited)
Do not use ATF fluid. It will leave lots of ash and can cause damage unless it is ATF from the 50's
If anything run some Amsoil Injector clean or maybe some 2-stroke oil. ATF is simply "fancy hydraulic oil" does not belong in the combustion chamber.

#7 ·
I hate the dealer.... I try to avoid them like the plague. The las few days ive been reading forums til i go cross eyed. Theres a lot of theards out there about cleaning injectors out with additives instead of replacing them. The thing i cant fine is how long it takes to see some improvement atleast. I know each persons truck is different but should i keep going 100-200 miles before calling them bad? Or should the additive have shown so sort of important in 50-60 miles by now?

#8 ·
dump 1 qt of non synthetic dexron in your tank. do this for a few tanks and if it has made a change after a few tanks, then dirty injectors is not your issue.

also gasjr4wd was not being a smart a$$, he was just saying not to take your truck to a stealership. but your snarky comment back might not help you get answers in the future :wink2:

Reactions: gasjr4wd
#9 ·
This new fuel doesn't lube like the old so you need to add some kind of lube to your fuel. All moving parts need lube to make them last.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.