2 Stroke Oil + Diesel, not so good - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Alternative Fuels, Additives, Oils & Lubricants
CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2 Stroke Oil + Diesel, not so good

As a small engine mech i use to work in a lawn mower shop. Working on everything from chainsaws to garden tractors. Working on 2 stroke engines (especially the old 2 stroke lawn boy push mowers) i noticed alot of gum build up around the exhuast ports and exhuast related components. Like every 2 stroke you will notice gum build up in the exhuast components. this is why they call 2 stokes "Dirtier" engines is becuase they are dirty. The reason 2 stroke engines use the mixture of gas and oil as fuel is to lubricate the engine. They don't have oil filled crank cases becuase due to the porting of the cylinder the carb is ussually mounted ON the crank case. Having the crank case filled with oil it would interfere with the fuel getting sucked up from the carb to the cylinder. Most 2 stroke don't have head valves somewhat becuase of the gum build up caused by 2 stroke oil. Thats somewhat why they have ports in the cylinder is to iliminate moving valves. I thought i'd bring up this topic for the guys that think 2 stroke oil mixed in with thier diesel fuel would improve lubrication in thier injector systems in their diesel engines. using 2 stroke oil in diesels would form gum deposits on exhuast components such as valves, manifold walls, and even turbo impeller fins. Maybe resulting in higher EGT's and sticky valves? It might work well for the injector components but it probably aint so good for the exhuast components. Show me a used chainsaw engine that doesn't have greasy gum deposits around the exhuast ports or in the mufflor. Now to the amount of gum deposits it would produce in a diesel engine i don't if it would matter so much. You could maybe use a cleaner such as injector cleaner to solve this gumming issue but i don't think it would do much cleaning effect on the exhuast components after it was burnt in the cylinder. If you want to use a fuel additive to replace the lost lubricants in todays ULSD i would just use a diesel injector lubricant. Something that was designed for lubricating injection systems in diesel engines. I wouldn't want to worry about what 2 stroke oil does to my exhuast components. it's like dumping a bottle of orange crush in someone's fuel tank. A good way to put thier car out of commision. Just my 2 sense. I'm open for dispute.

Last edited by ChrBro; 12-06-2009 at 06:06 AM.
ChrBro is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ive been runnin 2stroke oil in mine and just took the engine apart and it was clean as could be. including turbos and valves
The Following User Says Thank You to PUNISHER629 For This Useful Post:
DodgeMech (02-01-2010)
Old 12-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
This is going to get good:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firemanram For This Useful Post:
BlueBallz (01-31-2010), tyoneil54 (11-13-2014)
Old 12-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrBro View Post
As a small engine mech i use to work in a lawn mower shop. Working on everything from chainsaws to garden tractors. Working on 2 stroke engines (especially the old 2 stroke lawn boy push mowers) i noticed alot of gum build up around the exhuast ports and exhuast related components. Like every 2 stroke you will notice gum build up in the exhuast components. this is why they call 2 stokes "Dirtier" engines is becuase they are dirty. The reason 2 stroke engines use the mixture of gas and oil as fuel is to lubricate the engine. They don't have oil filled crank cases becuase due to the porting of the cylinder the carb is ussually mounted ON the crank case. Having the crank case filled with oil it would interfere with the fuel getting sucked up from the carb to the cylinder. Most 2 stroke don't have head valves somewhat becuase of the gum build up caused by 2 stroke oil. Thats somewhat why they have ports in the cylinder is to iliminate moving valves. I thought i'd bring up this topic for the guys that think 2 stroke oil mixed in with thier diesel fuel would improve lubrication in thier injector systems in their diesel engines. using 2 stroke oil in diesels would form gum deposits on exhuast components such as valves, manifold walls, and even turbo impeller fins. Maybe resulting in higher EGT's and sticky valves? It might work well for the injector components but it probably aint so good for the exhuast components. Show me a used chainsaw engine that doesn't have greasy gum deposits around the exhuast ports or in the mufflor. Now to the amount of gum deposits it would produce in a diesel engine i don't if it would matter so much. You could maybe use a cleaner such as injector cleaner to solve this gumming issue but i don't think it would do much cleaning effect on the exhuast components after it was burnt in the cylinder. If you want to use a fuel additive to replace the lost lubricants in todays ULSD i would just use a diesel injector lubricant. Something that was designed for lubricating injection systems in diesel engines. I wouldn't want to worry about what 2 stroke oil does to my exhuast components. it's like dumping a bottle of orange crush in someone's fuel tank. A good way to put thier car out of commision. Just my 2 sense. I'm open for dispute.
you also have to take into account that we mix the 2-cycle a lot less than the chainsaws. I put 8oz to 10 oz of 2 cycle into 35 gallons of fuel.and also since diesel fuel has a higher btu value wouldn't than help burn off the oil prior to the ex valves opening???
Old 12-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Rather than buy diesel additives, I've been buying Sunoco Gold Diesel to get the extra lubricity in the ULSD. It's 2/L more than their regular diesel so a 100L fill-up would cost $2.00 more.

As for the 2-stroke oil, I think the consensus is to use ashless outboard motor oil (API TC-W3). See "Which Oil Is Right For You?" in Esso 2-Stroke Oil.

Last edited by fraso; 12-17-2009 at 10:34 AM.
fraso is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
DieselAutoPower.com

Thanked 1,891 Times in 822 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
The reason you saw the gummed up small engines is because people overdose 2 stroke engines all the time. Also we're talking a very small ratio of 2 stroke oil. (A quart to 34 gallons) Third, the cyl temps and pressures are WAY different.

I've been running two stroke. I've had my exhaust manifold and turbo off several times. No gumming here. I'll keep running it.
patracy is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patracy For This Useful Post:
DodgeMech (12-14-2009), norwood dodge (12-06-2009)
Old 12-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
I feel a cat fight comin...

37" MT/R Kevlars on XD Enduros
DIABLOSPORT PREDATOR w/AEM BRUTE FORCE CAI
BANKS HIGH RAM & 5" TBE w/30" FTE RESONATOR
GREAT LAKES CUMMINS CREW MEMBER
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dieseljay74 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
COAL,GUNS,FREEDOM

just wait till mike gets here
Just Ledoux it-RIP Chris LeDoux
Wyoming Chapter Eastern VP
CowboyCummins01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyCummins01 View Post
That was my first thought also.
'01 3500 DRW 6 spd, AFE stg 2 , 4" turbo/exhaust brake back, 50hp injectors, Edge EZ, boost elbow, clutch, Amsoil dual bypass, AD150, a few Autometer gauges, 55 block, bunch of other crap not worth typing, big and shiny.
TJT-Rav is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyCummins01 View Post
Mike will have fun with this one !!!!

I use 2 stroke oil also. No problems or signs of gumming any where !!
4.5 D3500 auto 4X4, Smarty Jr, van Aaken 3.1, Dipricol gauges, straight piped, silencer ring MIA,Stage II AFE w/ Amsoil nano-fiber filter, CFM+ and heater delete, Amsoil from end to end, Silver Bullet HD Trans w/ Billet converter !! 9/27/08 427hp and 815tq !!!
norwood dodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

i use it off and on, no complaints, quieter engine, better mpg, i havent used it in a while because i use Lucas add. i heard a guy say one time to use a regular additive every other couple fill ups rather than 2 stroke just to clean everything out good,
1994 dodge, 4x4, nv4500, single cab long bed, autometer guages, #100 plate slid, exhaust, and cold air intake.
allispuller1952 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Only in a HEMI

Thanked 1,492 Times in 1,036 Posts
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Not to worry here, there is no need for that stuff in my fuel system!
BBRam is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.