Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Which additive to use year round?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TURBO DOUG 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Previously, in my '05 6.0, I ran Stanadyne fuel additive year round. I asked two local diesel shops, and they recommended to continue to run Stanadyne in my '12 6.7 (I believe 8oz per fuel tank). What would you all recommend? I live in the Pacific Northwest where all winter it is 20-30 degrees F and in the summer it is 90's F. I'm interested in best fuel mileage, preventing gumming up, cleaning injectors, etc. All recommendations welcome!

#2 ·
I think Its snake oil for the new CRs. They were designed for low sulphur. I do use Howes antigel below -30 as I run no fuel hrs so want to take less chances on a failed start coming out of the bush. There is a fuel additive section in this forum. If you're running with emissions in tact, I certainly wouldn't run an additive unless it says DPF friendly.

#4 ·
Lucas Oil injector cleaner. It's legit.

However I will say that additives are wildly overrated. At your temperatures you don't need to run anything. Yes I said nothing. Seriously. Not needed.

Everyone once in a while I dump in some Marvel Mystery and that's only because I get it for free from work. I would never buy it to dump in. I would suggest if you really want to use something to dump in a generous dose of Lucas Oil injector cleaner or FPPF water dispersant every once in a while. Like maybe every 20,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.