Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Rotella T relabeled as T4?

32K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  blair.arrington 
#1 ·
So im out today and trying to find Rotella T 15w40 to do an oil change. Every ,and I mean every, store is out of Rotella T. I had a hard time believing this so I came home and started doing some searches and making some calls figuring Id have to order some. Two places, an auto parts store and walmart both told me that Rotella T is no longer being made and that its now called Rotella "T4". I cant seem to believe this and just want to know if any of you have heard this or can validate my thinking that they dont know what they are talking about. Ive gotta have my rotella t........

#2 ·
My local wally world had 2 left earlier but the rest where T4.

The new oil standards kicked in this month more than likely when they got it recertified for the new standard it got relabeled.

Reactions: pnnff
#3 ·
ok, thank you. i didnt know that. i guess we'll be running t4 then. maybe i should call shell and see how far off from original it is. do you know? is it the same formula with a new label? .......

#4 ·
I don't know if the oil was changed any but I do know that Ford isn't happy with the new standard (Cumins and GM are) and made their own.

I know it's a video for a Powerstroke............

Reactions: pnnff
#5 ·
#7 ·
Why not move up to T6? Wal_Mart has an incredibly low price for T6...

#10 ·
Fill out your signature so we know what kind of a truck you have.

#12 ·
These are all my local walmart had. They didnt have T in the gallon jugs only the quart bottles. The T4 kind of threw me off and wanted to wait and find out more before buying. Or should I just go buy all of the quart bottles of T? I believe T5 is a synthetic blend and T6 is a full synthetic.

#13 ·
T5 is a synthetic blend (says on the jug) and T6 isn't full synthetic but enough to label it as such. IMHO just pick a jug I don't think there's that big of a difference if any between T and T4.

#14 ·
Don't know if it applies to the Diesel engines but I know in older high mileage gas engines (at least the ones I own) when I went from conventional oil to full synthetic they would seep oil from the seals. My 250-300k mile Honda, my charger 265k miles uses 1 qt of full syn but only 1/4 semi syn but my diesel with 215 and just towed 10k from KS to TX didn't burn a drop of valvoline blue jug.

#15 ·
Synthetic oil didn't cause the leaks it just found them.

Synthetic oil particulars are smaller than dino oil (think baseballs vs basketballs) so as the seals get old and wear out synthetic will leak before dino.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.