Cummins Diesel Forum banner

running power service...

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  NeMachinist 
#1 ·
recently was in temps around 0 to -5 degrees which is not very common here. I put some power service white bottle in and everything was fine...

i noticed they have three bottles... the grey bottle that claims you can use it year round.. the white anti gel and the red 911 emergency bottle...

the temps vary here this week the lows are high teens and twenties and the highs 45-55 ish...

when do you guys run power service? should i do it through winter or only in really cold temps? any one using the grey bottle in warmer temps consistently?

first diesel... I'm learning a lot already in the first 5 months.

#2 ·
#1ask your fuel supplier what temp their treated fuel is good too.
Here in Montana I start when it gets 10° .. I use the gray bottle most of the year .. never have i used the red bottle .... we see -20 often and -40 at times .. this week was cold -28 .. your fuel suppliers fuel should be treated for your areas temp swing...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I've never used any of it.

I have been in single digit temps at times and haven't had any gelling issues.

Using fuel additives like that for anything other than gelling issues is just a waste of $$$ IMO.

#4 ·
thanks for your input. i kinda agree It seems if you get good fuel for winter its ok i think the problem would come in if i got fuel someplace warm and was going into someplace cold stoping in-between... i believe i read ram has some kind of heaters on the fuel filter or somewhere that heats up the fuel...

#6 ·
Unfortunately it is not only up to fuel supplier....working for a refinery I know what is cloud point for my premium diesel. How ever the delivery truck, the gas stations all add degree of variation. Personally I have gelled up a car, a tractor a freaking above ground tank anywhere between -25f to 15. At this point if I see forecast for more than a few hours of 15f and below I will treat at least Diesel in the equipment with white bottle. When I gelled up, red bottle. Grey bottle is for cetane improvement, which I don't need.

#9 ·
I use the white bottle all year round, the extra lube it provides helps the IP and injectors last longer.

#10 ·
In previous winters I had treated below 10 deg and never had a problem.

This year I rolled the dice and didn't treat when some -10f temps were coming just to see if it was needed for the fuel in my area. All seemed well, and then it wasn't.

So back to treating below 10f

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.