Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Pre oil change additive?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Grogg 
#1 ·
What if at all are you running for pre oil change additive. I usually just swap my oil but I know there is some good stuff out there and wanted to hear opinions.

#2 ·
I don't add anything. Routine 5k mile oil changes. But maybe SeaFoam. 150-300 miles prior to changing. My coworker did SeaFoam. Says he felt a difference. His rig has 120k miles on it. So maybe it cleaned up some things internally. Don't know? He's an avid Hot shots stiction user to. He swears by it

#3 ·
The owner's manual and all the literature by all motor oil manufacturers state that the use of additives is neither required nor desirable.

First question to ask one's self is what you're trying to achieve, then second what the best way to achieve that is. If you're looking to 'clean out' your engine internally, just run a few short oil change intervals with the cheapest oil that meets the specs listed in your owner's manual. Or do an oil analysis of the oil you dump next to see if there is in fact anything worth fixing or worrying about.

My $0.05 :)

Reactions: cumininmycummins
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.