Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Not another oil question

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  The_One 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I know this is probably a monthly post, but I posted in the 10-12 General Discussion not knowing if the newer models were different. Anyway, I looked around and found some stuff I was looking for but not all of it, and some of those threads were a couple years old so I figured I would start a new one to see if I can get some updated info. Bought the truck in the sig a few months ago and its almost due for an oil change, well at least based off of the oil change sticker for the 5000 mile mark. I read somewhere that these trucks basically tell you when the oil needs to be changed. Not just at xxxx miles, but it can "determine" when the oils bad and thats why its different for every truck ie. 3500-7500 miles. Is this true, do you guys go off the light? I thought about changing it now (at the 5000mile mark, no oil light) just because its starting to snow and I don't want to do it when its even colder. Do I have to do anything as far as resetting it if I change it before the light? I don't want to change it then 2000 miles later have the light come on. I have no idea what the dealer put in it (small town dirt lot dealership lol), I was going to use Valvoline premium blue just because of the Cummins logo on the bottle. I know oil brands are a pointless argument, but any tips, help or advice would be appreciated. (I always used Delo in my Powerstrokes) 2012 ram 2500 SL, 43000miles, 4wd, auto 68, deleted- incase anyone needs that for an answer.

Sorry if this has already been addressed multiple times, im working on my degree in computers so I can understand my truck :hehe:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. I own a 2012 that I ordered in June of 2012, and took delivery August of 2012. I have always put in Valvoline Premium Blue 15/40. The EVIC gives me a 'Oil Change Due' message when the on board computer says its time. I know the manual states change oil every 7,500 miles or when prompted by the EVIC. I change when the change oil message appears. It will vary from owner to owner depending on driving habits.

If you live in a cold climate, it is recommended to use 5/40 oil, IIRC. That is for when temps are at Zero degrees or lower. Makes it easier on the engine for cold starts. Any oil that meets specs is good. I stayed with the Valvoline Premium blue.

To reset the oil minder, turn the key to the 'on' position, do not start. Push the go pedal to the floor 3 times within 10 seconds, turn key off. When I have the change oil message, it will disappear when I have done the reset correctly.

From my owners manual:
Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade)
Use SAE 15W-40 MOPAR or an equivalent engine oil
meeting Chrysler Material Standard MS-10902. Products
meeting Cummins CES 20081 may also be used. The
identification of these engine oils is typically located on
the back of the oil container.
In ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C), SAE 5W-40
synthetic engine oil that meets Chrysler Materials Standard
MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is
required.

I have a Fumoto oil valve in place of the drain plug. Works very well, and lots less mess when changing oil. Get a 93mm, 16 fluted cap to fit on the end of the oil filter for removal. I use a long 3/8 extension with ratchet to remove the filter. Make sure the old "O" ring comes off when changing the oil filter. I add a quart of new oil to the oil filter before installing it.

A couple of links if you are interested.
https://www.genosgarage.com/category/oil-filters

https://www.genosgarage.com/category/fuel-filters

I use oil filter LF16035, and Fuel filter FS53000, both Fleetguard. Amazon has the better price on the FS53000 fuel filter tho. I order my oil & air filters from Genos in July, and get a years supply, when they have their 10% off sale.

Go here to down load a owners manual if you want.
https://www.mopar.com/ramtrucks/en-us/care/owner-manual.html

Go here, put in your vin #, you can view the build sheet for your truck.
https://dodge.custhelp.com/app/dodg...sion/L3RpbWUvMTQzOTY2MzU0OC9zaWQvcm0yTTZfdG0=

This is a great forum, ask it, you will get answers. Maybe not the one you want, but you will get them. I hope the above info is useful. Anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

You may find this useful too:

6.7L Cummins Maintenance Schedule:
Maintenance Procedure: Interval:** Description:
Oil & Oil Filter Change* 7,500 miles or 6 months Change engine oil & engine oil filter.
Lube Chassis 7,500 miles Grease/lubricate tie rods & front suspension components.
Air Filter Replacement Check every oil change. Replace as necessary. Truck is equipped with a "Filter Minder" to prompt replacement. Replace engine air filter.
Fuel Filter Replacement 15,000 miles or 12 months Replace diesel fuel filter.
Tire Rotation 7,500 miles Rotate tires to prevent uneven wear.
Change Front/Rear Axle Fluid 15,000 miles Change front & rear axle fluids (front on 4 wheel drive models only).
Change Transfer Case Fluid 60,000 miles or 48 months Change transfer case fluid (4 wheel drive models only).
Clean EGR Cooler 67,500 miles Clean EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) cooler.
Clean EGR Valve 67,500 miles Clean EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve.
Replace CCV Filter 67,500 miles Replace CCV (crankcase ventilation) filter.
Flush & Change Coolant 100,000 miles or 60 months Flush engine coolant system and replace with new coolant.
Transmission Service Normal: 120,000 miles
Severe Duty***: 60,000 miles Change automatic transmission fluid & auto transmission filter. Change manual transmission fluid.
Adjust Valve Lash 150,000 miles Adjust valve lash clearance.

#3 ·
I use my 11 for a Dailey driver now since I quit hauling, so I change mine every 10,000 miles. I use rotella 15/40 because I live in Alabama.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#6 ·
X2 Camperman. Thanks for taking the time.

Reactions: camperman
#7 ·
I have a 2011 and run 15/40 shell rotella (I'm in Louisiana so no worries about to cold of mornings). I always change mine around the 4800 mile mark (never wait till the exact 5000 mile mark). Oil always comes out black but still has a slight golden tint to it. I could probably go to 7500 like some do but I like feeding my cummins fresh oil whenever I get chance.

As far as the EVIC message goes, mine will sporadically come on. Especially after an oil change. For instance I drove SC the morning after changing my oil and it came on in MS, AL, and GA. No idea why but I never even pay attention to it as I track my oil changes myself. I just continue to reset it.

Reactions: gunner315
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.